50%
What is The Old World
No votes

Total votes: 6

TinyLegions
Site Admin

The Old World Subforum

Post by TinyLegions »

I have been putting some thought on this subject and to be honest I have not made a decision one way or another. The Old World is something that I never thought that GW would go for when I started the concept of this forum in 2015. Back then, I wanted to make sure that there was a place supporting older editions that we grew to be fond of. They were obviously not supported by GW, but also GW was moving to AOS, which was not what I wanted in a fantasy game. If I wanted to do a skirmish game in Fantasy, I would play D&D or something similar. What I wanted in a fantasy wargame is what you see in the editions that we support for WFB, and specifically the size and scope of those editions, which I believe to be battalion/cohort level games where your units are company/century level. We specifically don't support the 8th edition here because it is not the same game size and scope of previous editions. I see the 8th edition trying to shoehorn brigade level size and scope elements in a game that always was at the most a battalion size game, that and there are plenty of folks who fawn over the 8th edition and have their own forums. We also don't support the 3rd edition here, but that is more due to other forums doing a better job at it when I started this forum. So this forum is two pronged, supporting older editions that don't get the support from GW or anywhere else, supporting a game system that allows for the size and scope of what we get from the editions supported.

The Old World is definitely seems like a move towards what we support here in the size and scope. I will admit that I have not seen much of the videos out there on how to play the game, nor have I actually played a game yet. So I am not one to really judge how close it is to what we support here. I am very sure that there are plenty of forums, reddits, and facebook groups that are either popping up or already supporting TOW. I know that the Dakka forum is supporting it. One thing that I will promise is that any support that we provide on this forum will not be at the expense of WFB. WFB 4th to 6th editions will always be supported on this forum until it dies, and it will be primary here no matter what. Same with the 40K forums that we have. One thing that I will allow as I am mulling over adding a sub-forum is that of someone wants to write a thread please add the [TOW] moniker in the title so that someone knows the subject pertains to the old world. Ultimately I am not against a sub forum for TOW, but I want to hear what people have to say. I am putting a poll on this. Please vote on the poll, and of course let me know either through a DM or reply to this.
Your Benevolent Dictator

The random musings of TinyLegions: https://tinylegions.blogspot.com/
Just Tony

Re: The Old World Subforum

Post by Just Tony »

I've had a LONG think over this one and am voting "I don't care either way" for only one reason: the subforum for the specific edition I play will not be affected by the existence of a subforum for someone else's game. I remember how bad it was when AOS first hit and the GW heavy forums went all out on switching over. For the longest time there wasn't even a place to POST about WFB anymore, let alone an older edition. Because of that I'm leery of blocking additions of other editions/rulesets, as long as there's still space for what everyone wants to discuss.

A part of me also thinks that we'll never get the traffic here that places like Dakka get, but we're also far more niche with how we do things here. Their WFB content is pretty much relegated to 3 subforums, and if you look at them currently you'll see that any non-TOW content is completely buried by TOW content. That would be my only concern here but the existence of edition-specific subforums makes this unlikely to happen.
PalmerC

Post by PalmerC »

I voted yes only because it’s what I am intending to play over the next bit. My gaming group is going to still ultimately play 6th edition but we are trying OW for a bit and I like what I see so far.
mattyfenby

Post by mattyfenby »

After reading your thought process on why the site has what it has, I tried to apply your reasoning when voting. I voted “Yes” because from what I can tell, this edition of the game seems to draw heavily from the Editions of the game that you hold up as the type of Edition this site is for. The amount of overlap for models and lore will be even greater than it was in AOS. I don’t feel any threat to my enjoyment of 6th Edition if TOW players want to post on here, and as this is a much smaller forum than something like Dakkadakka I am not concerned about TOW posts swamping the site and burying anything related to what I enjoy. Having said that, it’s not likely I will ever look at those conversations or participate, so my vote was borderlining on “I dont’t care either way.”

Thanks very much for putting in the time and effort to host this site. I’m sure whatever you decide will be great since you are approaching it from a thoughtful and respectful perspective.