Hordes of chaos mixing marks

Jimbo81

Hordes of chaos mixing marks

Post by Jimbo81 »

So can you mix everything up like khorne with Tzeentch and slaanesh with a sprinkling of nurgle or are there restrictions?

The book is coming in the mail so I’ve just got online pdf and I’m struggling.
Just Tony

Re: Hordes of chaos mixing marks

Post by Just Tony »

Chaos General Rules 1.jpg
Chaos General Rules 1.jpg (177.23 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Chaos General Rules 1.jpg
Chaos General Rules 1.jpg (177.23 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
So you can only mix marks in the army if your general is Undivided. Otherwise you are stuck with the same monogod mark as the General or Undivided. Remember that you also have to have a unit of some type that ALSO has a mark to mark a character as such.
Attachments
Chaos General Rules 2.jpg
Chaos General Rules 2.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Jonathan E

Re: Hordes of chaos mixing marks

Post by Jonathan E »

Jimbo81 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:52 pm So can you mix everything up like khorne with Tzeentch and slaanesh with a sprinkling of nurgle or are there restrictions?

The book is coming in the mail so I’ve just got online pdf and I’m struggling.
You can in specific circumstances. To help you parse how it works, let's flip it around and start with What You Want To Do rather than What The Restrictions Are.

If you want to mix and match units with different Marks of Chaos, what matters is the Mark your General has. If your General has no mark, you can mix and match Marks as you wish. If you give your General the Mark of Any Specific God, you can only field units with the Mark of That Specific God or with no Mark at all.

If you want to mix and match different kinds of units, what matters is what kind of General you have. If your general is a Mortal, Mortal units are Core while Daemons are Special, and vice versa. Daemon Princes complicate matters here as you can buy them an upgrade which means they "count as" a Mortal General for army selection purposes.

Although these rules are lumped together into the same space in the book, they're separate processes. Pick a type, pick a mark, that tells you what kind of options the rest of the army has.

You were working on a Tzeentch army so you'll probably get the Mark of Tzeentch on your General. Your options are a Lord of Change, a Daemon Prince, or a Chaos Lord.

If you take a Lord of Change your Core choices are Horrors and Screamers (Daemons of Tzeentch) and Furies (Daemons who count as having no mark), and your Special choices are any Mortal unit you like, as long as it has the Mark of Tzeentch or no Mark at all. Your Rares are Spawn, who you can upgrade with their version of the Mark of Tzeentch if you feel like it.

If you take a Chaos Lord your Core choices are any Mortal units you like, as long as they have the Mark of Tzeentch or no Mark at all. Your Special choices are Horrors and Screamers and Furies, and your Rares are still Spawn with the same Tzeentch upgrade option.

If you take a Daemon Prince you can go either way. Take Master of Mortals, it's the same options as the Chaos Lord. Don't take Master of Mortals, it's the same options as the Lord of Change.

Beastmen add another layer of options and possibilities but let's not get into that right now.
If you're wondering why I'm like this, give this a read.

It's not canon. It's not lore. It's fluff. It's marketing copy to sell toys. Don't take it more seriously than it deserves.