Breakthrough! Lizardmen vs. High Elves 2,000 point 6th Ed. Battle Report

Just Tony

Breakthrough! Lizardmen vs. High Elves 2,000 point 6th Ed. Battle Report

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 1-25-2021

Not one to let an open Sunday go by, we scheduled a game with a match up that according to the Batreps posted on this site has not happened yet: me running Lizardmen against Ashley running High Elves. We'd planned this a bit in advance, but didn't agree on a scenario until we got there. The key was that we weren't going to do another damned Pitched Battle.

As an aside, Ashley has an idea to whip up a nice scenario generator of existing 6th Ed. scenarios sort of like the ones in the 3rd Ed. 40K book. We'll keep you posted...

ANYWAY, you are more interested in how we flung our dice, so let's get back to that!

LIZARDMEN

Hero: Skink Priest (Level 2) - Scout, Cube of Darkness - 150 points
Hero: Skink Priest (Level 2) - Scout, Dispel Scrolls x2 - 160 points
Core: Skinks (10) - Scouts - 70 points
Core: Saurus (20) - Full Command - 270 points
Core: Saurus (20) - Full Command - 270 points
Special: Saurus Cavalry (10) - Full Command - 400 points
Special: Chameleon Skinks (10) - 150 points
Rare: Salamander Packs (3) - 195 points
Rare: Salamander Packs (3) - 195 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

The purple Priest with the Cube of Darkness rolled 2 and 3 for his spells: Portent of Far and Forked Lightning, while the other Priest rolled 2 and 4: Portent of Far and Uranon's Thunderbolt.

HIGH ELVES

Lord: Archmage (Level 4) - Pure of Heart, Bow of the Seafarer, Annulian Crystal - 355 points
Hero: Commander - Reaver Bow, Great Weapon, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armor - 130 points
Hero: Mage (Level 2) - Seer, Jewel of Dusk - 175 points
Hero: Mage (Level 2) - Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll - 180 points
Core: Archers (10) - 120 points
Core: Spearmen (20) - Musician, Standard - 238 points
Core: Spearmen (20) - Musician, Standard - 238 points
Special: Shadow Warriors (10) - Champion - 164 points
Rare: Repeater Bolt Throwers (2) - 200 points
Rare: Repeater Bolt Throwers (2) - 200 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

Intrigue at Court lands on the Archmage, who also rolls/chooses 1, 3, 5, and 6 on Lore of Heavens which grants him Second Sign of Amul, Forked Lightning, Storm of Cronos, and Comet of Canada. The Mage with Seer chooses Forked Lightning and Uranon's Thunderbolt as his spells while the last Mage rolls 1 and 5, being stuck with Second Sign and Storm of Cronos. Much salt came after THAT roll as the 1 prevented any substitutions at all.

We roll for attacker which winds up being the Lizardmen. Ashley wins both the roll to choose table sides AND the roll that forces me to deploy first. There was some hot debate over who finished deploying first for the +1, but my roll for first turn was high enough that it didn't matter. OFF I GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURN 1 LIZARDMEN

I start off passing my Stupidity test on the Cold One Cavalry, and then move the whole army up at full speed with the exception of the scouted Chameleon Skinks who move up just enough to target the leftmost Bolt Thrower.
LMvsHE-T1A1.jpg
LMvsHE-T1A1.jpg (314.5 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T1A2.jpg
LMvsHE-T1A2.jpg (336.89 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T1A3.jpg
LMvsHE-T1A3.jpg (304.66 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Magic sees both my attempt at Forked Lightning on the helmeted Mage and Uranon's Thunderbolt on the Commander dispelled. I also see firsthand how much the Crystal is going to be a detriment to my game as it robbed me of a power die to add it to Ashley's dispel pool.

Shooting nets me 1 dead Bolt Thrower crewman despite all the modifiers to hit.

TURN 1 HIGH ELVES

Since Ashley only has to keep me from getting 1/3 of my points in his Deployment Zone he doesn't need to move much, so he adjusts position on the Spearmen units and the helmeted Wizard moving them forward.
LMvsHE-T1B1.jpg
LMvsHE-T1B1.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T1B2.jpg
LMvsHE-T1B2.jpg (347.84 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T1B3.jpg
LMvsHE-T1B3.jpg (287.6 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Uranon's Thunderbolt is attempted on the Cold One Cavalry and failed. Comet is cast but immediately I use the Cube of Darkness, rolling a 4 I end the Magic Phase.

Shooting sees the Archers fire at the Cold One Cavalry and killing only 1 model. Of special note the Bow of the Seafarer failed to wound which did him no favors. The left flank Bolt Throwers team up their shots to fell 4 more Cold Ones, while the Commander uses the Reaver Bow and kills 2 more. Despite losing 7 models I pass my Panic test.

The Shadow Warriors whiff their shots at the right flank Saurus unit while the right flank Bolt Throwers pool their shots to kill 4 models. (Wow, deja vu...) Panic is passed here as well. (Wow, deja vu...)

TURN 2 LIZARDMEN

After passing Stupidity again I declare a charge on the leftmost Bolt Thrower who flee off the board in response, leaving me with a failed charge. The right flank Saurus charge the Spearmen in front of them who Hold. All other units move forward to shooting range with the exception of the grey Mage's Skinks who have to march to gain ground.
LMvsHE-T2A1.jpg
LMvsHE-T2A1.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T2A2.jpg
LMvsHE-T2A2.jpg (347.72 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T2A3.jpg
LMvsHE-T2A3.jpg (347.58 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T2A4.jpg
LMvsHE-T2A4.jpg (225.18 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
The Magic Phase starts with me pulling a scroll out with Portent of Far from the grey Priest, robbing me of a much needed boost in my Spearmen fight. Forked Lightning on the helmeted Mage, however, rolls Irresistible Force, netting me the 2 wounds necessary to kill him.

The Shooting Phase starts with me pelting the Commander with shots, his armor failing to stop 3 of the darts. More than enough to kill him outright.

The left flank Salamanders roll up 20 hits on the Archers, wounding with 10, leaving a Pure of Heart Archmage standing his ground and causing no Panic in the Bolt Thrower crew.

The right flank Salamanders hit the Shadow Warriors 10 times but only manage 3 wounds. Panic is passed.

the right flank Skinks land 2 wounds on the right flank Bolt Thrower crew, wiping them out.

The Close Combat Phase sees the Saurus kill 2 Spearmen and lose 1 Saurus in return. I still lose combat by 1 but pass my Break test.

TURN 2 HIGH ELVES

Reeling from a few strategic losses, the High Elves seek to press what advantages they have...

The Mage and remaining right flank Bolt Thrower pass their Panic tests.

The left flank Spearmen pass their Fear test and charge the left flank Salamander pack, who hold in return.

The Mage and Archmage both move away from the incoming flanking units. All else is either engaged or needs to stay still to shoot.
LMvsHE-T2B1.jpg
LMvsHE-T2B1.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
The Magic Phase sees Uranon's Thunderbolt cast on my Cold One Cavalry which draws out my first Dispel Scroll, Second Sign being let through which garners 1 reroll, and Comet of Canada which draws out my second scroll.

Damn, there goes my main Magic defense...

In the Shooting Phase the left flank Bolt Thrower drops a Cold One rider, but they pass their Panic. The right flank Bolt Thrower kills two Skinks in the grey Priest's unit, and the Shadow Warriors land 3 wounds on a Salamander, killing it.

In Combat the right flank Spearmen kill 2 Saurus while the savage reptilians kill 3 Elves in return. Totaling up resolution sees the combat end as a Draw.

The left flank Spearmen kill 3 Skink handlers while losing 1 of their own. Despite Cold Blooded the Salamander packs flee 6" with the Spearmen pursuing 8", slamming into the left flank Saurus Warriors' front. All Panic tests from the wipeout are passed.

TURN 3 LIZARDMEN

Ooooof.

Stupidity is passed.

The right flank Salamanders start the turn declaring a charge on the Shadow Warriors who flee 6", just enough to take them out of my charge range and leaving the Salamanders forward without the ability to shoot.

The Cold Ones wheel toward the center of the board, aiming at the Bolt Thrower for next round. All Skinks move forward 6" to line up shots with the exception of the Purple Priest's unit which moves 12" to close the gap.
LMvsHE-T3A1.jpg
LMvsHE-T3A1.jpg (310.58 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T3A2.jpg
LMvsHE-T3A2.jpg (313.19 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T3A3.jpg
LMvsHE-T3A3.jpg (342.63 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Forked Lightning and Uranon's Thunderbolt on the Archmage are both easily dispelled.

Chameleon Skinks fail to wound any of the left flank Bolt Thrower crew, while the right flank Skinks fail to wound anyone in the right flank Bolt Thrower crew. The center Skinks, however, manage to drop 1 of the right flank Bolt Thrower crewmen.

Moving to Combat the left flank Spearmen kill 1 Saurus while losing 3 Elves in return, but pass their Break test.

The right flank Spearmen cause 2 wounds on the Saurus which are saved by their armor, and promptly lose 4 Elves for their troubles. Failing their Break test, the Elves flee 7" with the Saurus pursuing 7", wiping the noble Spearmen out completely. No units Panic.

TURN 3 HIGH ELVES

With both flanks pressing in, the High Elves bear down and no units move at all this turn.
LMvsHE-T3B1.jpg
LMvsHE-T3B1.jpg (313.87 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T3B2.jpg
LMvsHE-T3B2.jpg (306.21 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
LMvsHE-T3B3.jpg
LMvsHE-T3B3.jpg (335.93 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
The Magic Phase sees Uranon's Thunderbolt cast on the right flank Saurus unopposed, killing 1 of their numbers. Second Sign is also unopposed and nets 2 rerolls for the High Elves. Comet of Canada, however, is dispelled with extreme prejudice.

Bow of the Seafarer kills 1 Cold One rider, leaving the Champion alone. The left flank Bolt Thrower drops one of the left flank Skinks, and the right flank Bolt Thrower whiffs. No units Panic from the shooting.

2 Saurus fall to the Elven spears, pulling down a Spearman in return and passing their Break test.

And at this point Ashley concedes. He normally doesn't drop off so fast, but he reasoned that his rolls had been bad enough that he was not going to be able to stop me from meeting the victory conditions by the end of the actual last turn.

It's always a little depressing when it ends like this, but as a happy note the manager of the store was unloading minis to us and my brother scored Beorg Bearstruck and his Bearmen, Doom Diver crew, a spare plastic Empire cannon crew, another Beastmen Bray-shaman, Snotling bases, a complete but partially assembled plastic Orc chariot, and some models to throw down with our Skaven. There may have been more, but that was at least what I knew for sure. He also has a Tomb Kings Battalion he's sitting on for me that's minus 1 chariot, but still a nice start. Next week's bonus check has a use for sure...

On a final note: my brother texted me and told me to call this battle report "Seer Council my ass!!!!" I think I'll stick with the title at hand, but to at least honor his wishes and frustrations:

"Seer Council my ass!!!" Ashley Ross Lucas - January 24th, 2021