6th Edition Battle Report: Breakthrough - Dogs of War vs. High Elves

Just Tony

6th Edition Battle Report: Breakthrough - Dogs of War vs. High Elves

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 4-24-2019

It's that time again. My brother and I had planned for a while to play the Breakthrough mission accurately since we were so off base on the last BatRep.

We agreed to 2,100 points to make it easier to figure out the 1/3 dividing line for victory conditions. For those not in the know, the only Victory Points counted are those for Attacker units in the Defender's deployment zone.

The lists were as follows:

Dogs of War

Hero - Wizard (Level 2) - Dispel Scroll x2 - 145 points
Hero - Paymaster - Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might - 89 points
Core - Heavy Cavalry (10) - Banner, Musician - 240 points
Core - Heavy Cavalry (10) - Banner, Musician - 240 points
Core - Pikemen (20) - Banner, Musician, Heavy Armor - 240 points
Special - Marauders (18) - Shields, Flails, Banner, Musician - 182 points
Special - Paymaster's Bodyguard (20) - Heavy Armor, Banner, Musician - 220 points
Special - Ogres (3) - Great Weapons, Light Armor - 132 points
Special - Ogres (3) - Great Weapons, Light Armor - 132 points

2,100 points total

High Elves

Hero - Mage (Level 2) - Seer (Choose spells, plan on doing High Magic) - 160 points
Hero - Noble - Battle Standard Bearer, Battle Banner (+D6 Combat Resolution), Heavy Armor - 179 points
Core - Spearmen (20) - Full Command - 250 points
Core - Spearmen (20) - Full Command - 250 points
Core - Spearmen (19) - Full Command - 239 points
Core - Silver Helms (10) - Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command - 265 points
Special - Swordmasters (19) - Full Command, Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward for Bladelord), Banner of Sorcery (+D3 Power Dice) - 352 points
Rare - Repeater Bolt Throwers (2) - 200 points
Rare - Repeater Bolt Throwers (2) - 200 points

2,095 points total

Both of us chose Lore of Life. He got Father of Thorns and The Howler Wind. I chose Master of Stone and Master of the Woods.

I won the roll to choose deployment zones and quickly grabbed the one with a hill big enough for all four Bolt Throwers. He won the roll to chose order of deployment and opted to go first. Even WITH the +1 for finishing first, I lost the roll for first turn, which he naturally chose to go first.

TURN 1 DOGS OF WAR

In typical fashion, Ashley moves his entire army ahead at top speed, only holding back his Knights who are blocked in by other units.

In the Magic Phase, the Hireling Wizard fails to cast either spell.
DOW vs HE T1D1.jpg
DOW vs HE T1D1.jpg (296.35 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T1D2.jpg
DOW vs HE T1D2.jpg (306.36 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T1D3.jpg
DOW vs HE T1D3.jpg (310.92 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T1D4.jpg
DOW vs HE T1D4.jpg (299.73 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
TURN 1 HIGH ELVES

The Silver Helms declare a charge on the Ogres directly in front of them, passing their Fear test. The rest of the army moves forward at full speed excepting the Repeater Bolt Throwers.
DOW vs HE T1H1.jpg
DOW vs HE T1H1.jpg (301.71 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T1H2.jpg
DOW vs HE T1H2.jpg (315.2 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T1H3.jpg
DOW vs HE T1H3.jpg (319.02 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Mage miscasts Master of Stone, which results in the Hireling Wizard casting Howler Wind. Master of the Woods fails to be cast.

The combined shooting of the Bolt Throwers kills 8 Marauders, who then Panic and flee 4".

The Silver Helms cause 1 wound on the Ogres, who kill 2 of the cavalrymen in return. The Ogres then break and flee 10" from the Helms who pursue 8 and smash into the Knights.
DOW vs HE T1H4.jpg
DOW vs HE T1H4.jpg (323.49 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
TURN 2 DOGS OF WAR

The Paymaster's Bodyguard declares a Flank charge on the Silver Helms, who promptly Panic and flee 16" off the table.

The left flank Ogres continue to flee 8" while the Marauders rally.

We agree that the wheeling process gets the Bodyguard in contact with the Spearmen, so the charge is redirected.
DOW vs HE T2D1.jpg
DOW vs HE T2D1.jpg (282 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Pikemen unit 1 and Pikemen unit 2 with the Wizard in it charge the Spearmen block in front of them simultaneously. Pikemen unit 3 charges into the Swordmasters. The right flank Ogres charge into the Spearmen to their immediate front.
DOW vs HE T2D2.jpg
DOW vs HE T2D2.jpg (309.49 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T2D3.jpg
DOW vs HE T2D3.jpg (299.69 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T2D4.jpg
DOW vs HE T2D4.jpg (310.89 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Any unit at this time not fleeing, charging, or regrouping moves forward.

In the Magic phase the Wizard casts Howler Wind on a 14, and with +1 to dispel I manage to roll a total of 13.

On the right flank, the Ogres kill 6 Spearmen with 2 wounds done in return. The Ogres break and run 4" with the Spearmen pursuing 10" directly into the Knights behind the Ogres.

Pikemen unit drops 1 Swordmaster, the Battle Standard Bearer whiffs completely, and the Swordmasters kill 3 Pikemen. The Battle Banner rolls 6 for added resolution, and the Pikes break and flee 5", with the Swordmasters pursuing 4".

The combined attacks of Pikemen units 1 & 2 account for 2 dead Spearmen and 1 wound on the Mage, with 1 wound being returned on the Wizard. The Spearmen pass their break test and Pikemen unit 1 laps 1 rank around the side of the Spearmen. We agreed this was the best way to handle it as the combined charge was a touch awkward.

The Bodyguard kills 2 Spearmen while 2 of their number fall. Spearmen pass their Break test.

TURN 2 HIGH ELVES
DOW vs HE T2H1.jpg
DOW vs HE T2H1.jpg (311.99 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Swordmasters declare a charge on the fleeing Pikemen who flee a further 8", which is not enough to escape the Swordmasters and they are run into the ground.
DOW vs HE T2H2.jpg
DOW vs HE T2H2.jpg (304.25 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T2H3.jpg
DOW vs HE T2H3.jpg (298.03 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
No other movement.

Master of Stone on the left flank Knights is scrolled, and Master of the Woods on the same unit is dispelled.

A combined volley of bolts kills all but 1 Marauder who Panic and flee. Knowing they can't regroup, the unit is simply scooped at that time.

Spearmen kill 3 Knights while losing 1 of their number. The Knights break and flee 14" with the Spearmen pursuing 6"

The middle Spearmen unit kills 1 Pikeman, and in return the Mage and 6 Spearmen die. The Spearmen break and flee 2" with both units rolling 7" to pursue, wiping them out.
DOW vs HE T2H4.jpg
DOW vs HE T2H4.jpg (316.16 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Bodyguard lose 3 members with no wounds done in return, they stubbornly pass their Break test and the Spearmen lap around.

TURN 3 DOGS OF WAR

Ashley starts this turn by rallying and reforming his Ogres and Knights, and the victorious Pikemen units now move towards the line of Bolt Throwers on the hill, with the Wizard's unit being followed by the other to skirt the woods. The left flank Knight unit moves forward.
DOW vs HE T3D1.jpg
DOW vs HE T3D1.jpg (293.51 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T3D2.jpg
DOW vs HE T3D2.jpg (299.12 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T3D3.jpg
DOW vs HE T3D3.jpg (297.61 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Wizard casts Howler wind high enough I can't stop it.

In the VERY protracted combat on the left flank the Spearmen kill 3 Bodyguard while the Paymaster slays 2 Elves in return. The Bodyguard easily passes its Stubborn Break test.

TURN 3 HIGH ELVES
DOW vs HE T3H1.jpg
DOW vs HE T3H1.jpg (313.3 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Spearmen in the corner reform to wait for the Knights to come out, and the Swordmasters wheel around the ruins to get into position to possibly bait a charge.

With no Mage to worry about I throw my power dice into dispelling the Howler Wind.

In the Shooting phase the Bolt Throwers combine fire to kill 8 Pikemen from the Wizard's unit, but are unable to Panic them.
DOW vs HE T3H2.jpg
DOW vs HE T3H2.jpg (300.74 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Spearmen grow weary of the long fight and miss all their attacks, as do the Paymaster and his Bodyguard. Unsure of whether this did indeed count as a draw or not, we tested anyway and it was passed regardless. On it goes, I suppose...

TURN 4 DOGS OF WAR

Predictably, the Wizard's Pikemen charge the leftmost Bolt Thrower. Knowing what catastrophe could happen if I Flee, I choose to Hold as a charge reaction.

The Pikemen behind that unit move around the woods into the deployment zone. The Ogres move up past the woods, and the left flank Knights also move forward. The Knights in the back corner, surprisingly, don't move at all.

Howler Wind is cast easily.

Only one Bolt Thrower crewman dies, with no wounds done in return. Shockingly I pass my Break test.

The Spearmen miss all their attacks against the Bodyguard, and 3 of them die for their lack of aggression. The Spearmen pass their Break test.

TURN 4 HIGH ELVES

All three unengaged Bolt Throwers move forward off the hill, costing me a Shooting phase but making the conga sweep less likely.
DOW vs HE T4H1.jpg
DOW vs HE T4H1.jpg (317.91 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
(Given the nature of gravity, the movement tray is the actual position of the Pikemen)

The Spearmen and Swordmasters on the right flank move closer to the Knights hiding in the back corner.
DOW vs HE T4H2.jpg
DOW vs HE T4H2.jpg (302.66 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Once again, I use the Power dice to dispel Howler Wind.

Combat sees the weary Spearmen pull down 2 more Bodyguards, while no attacks land in return. Stubborn yet again guarantees a pass.

The last Bolt Thrower Crewman dies, and the Pikemen reform and redress in preparation for their turn.
DOW vs HE T4H3.jpg
DOW vs HE T4H3.jpg (315.71 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
TURN 5 DOGS OF WAR

The Knights finally charge out at the Spearmen in the back, while the Wizard's Pikemen charge the next Bolt Thrower.
DOW vs HE T5D4.jpg
DOW vs HE T5D4.jpg (289.84 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T5D1.jpg
DOW vs HE T5D1.jpg (301.75 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
All other unengaged units make best speed to the High Elves' Deployment Zone.
DOW vs HE T5D2.jpg
DOW vs HE T5D2.jpg (301.27 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T5D3.jpg
DOW vs HE T5D3.jpg (292.03 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The Wizard miscasts Howler Wind and rolls the same Miscast Table result I did earlier. Since I have no Mage to cast the free spell, the Magic phase simply ends.

Bolt Thrower 2's crew is wiped out, and the Pikemen Overrun into the next Bolt Thrower.

4 Spearmen die to the Knights' charge with no wounds in return. They break and run 8", while the Knights pursue 13". Pure of Heart on the BSB means I am thankfully Immune to Panic on the Swordmasters.

TURN 5 HIGH ELVES

The Swordmasters reform in the general direction of the Knights in that corner

3 Knights fall to the Bolt Throwers' volleys, they Panic and flee 10" back.

2 Bodyguard die and 2 Spearmen are felled in return. The Paymaster's Bodyguard finally fails its Stubborn Break test!!!!!!!! Wait, what's that? He counts as a Battle Standard? Okay, so after the reroll they pass the test.

Yay.

After wiping out Bolt Thrower 3, the Pikemen make an 11" Overrun move into the 4th Bolt Thrower.

TURN 6 DOGS OF WAR

The Ogres on the left flank declare a charge into the Spearmen in the gap left by the Bodyguard, and the Knight unit by the Swordmasters rallies and reforms facing the Swordmasters.
DOW vs HE T6D1.jpg
DOW vs HE T6D1.jpg (316.18 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T6D2.jpg
DOW vs HE T6D2.jpg (289.26 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
DOW vs HE T6D3.jpg
DOW vs HE T6D3.jpg (284.88 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
1 Bodyguard dies while 2 Spearmen meet their end. Finally overwhelmed by Fear and failing their Insane Courage roll, the Spearmen break and flee 5". The Bodyguard pursues 2" while the Ogres pursue 6".
DOW vs HE T6D4.jpg
DOW vs HE T6D4.jpg (280.34 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
The last Bolt Thrower is wiped out, leaving the Wizard to reform his unit.
DOW vs HE T6D5.jpg
DOW vs HE T6D5.jpg (292.96 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
TURN 6 HIGH ELVES

The last High Elf unit, the Swordmasters, charge for glory into the Knights in front of them.
DOW vs HE T6H1.jpg
DOW vs HE T6H1.jpg (278.63 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
1 Knight falls, and 1 Swordmaster is killed in return. The Battle Banner ensures that the Knights' roll is insufficient, and they flee 17". The Swordmasters fail their test to restrain and pursue 10".

And that was game. After the points were added up, Ashley had 720 points of his units in my deployment zone, out of the necessary 700 to win. Adding up, we realized that I needed to have killed 2 more models in the Wizard's unit to have won.

2 models.

Oh well, it was still a very fun game with some incredibly bizarre runs of luck on the dice.