Greenskin magic banners

MorglumNeckSnapper

Greenskin magic banners

Post by MorglumNeckSnapper »

According to the unit descriptions in the Orc book,Boar Boyz and Black Orcs are the only greenskin mobs allowed magic banners. Yet Rowdy Grot's Big Red Raggedy Banner and the Bad Moon Banner are listed as Common Goblin and Night Goblins only, respectively. Also, characters other than the battle standard bearer are not allowed to take magic banners.Why are there race specific magic banners for units that aren't allowed to have magic banners? Am I missing something or are there errata of which I'm unaware ?
TinyLegions
Site Admin

Re: Greenskin magic banners

Post by TinyLegions »

That is about right. For most armies only a few units can carry a magic battle Standard. Of course a BSB can carry any banner, and can be in any unit that you want, but yes only the BSB can carry a magic banner, and you can only take one BSB. Specifically for the goblin banners, you need to have the BSB carry it in your army.
Your Benevolent Dictator

The random musings of TinyLegions: https://tinylegions.blogspot.com/
Alarantalara

Post by Alarantalara »

It's possible to have a battle standard bearer that's a common or night goblin big boss, so it's restricting what kind of character you use. The characters have types too.
mattyfenby

Post by mattyfenby »

Alarantalara has it correct- the characters have types, too. You would be using the BSB of that type to bring the specific banner.

Also, an easy to miss note is that on top of the Black Orcs and Boar Boyz/Savage Boar Boyz, a Big Uns unit can equip a Magic Banner up to 50 points. This is in addition to the generic unit of Boar Boyz or Savage Boar Boyz being able to carry one. (O&G Pg 6)
Kakapo42

Post by Kakapo42 »

Goblin units can take a magic banner if they are part of a Goblin or Night Goblin army, in addition to Goblin Battle Standard Bearers. That will be the main place you will find these banners.
Please stop calling it "Middlehammer"

mattyfenby

Post by mattyfenby »

Kakapo is right; for the Variant Army Lists check out page 76 of the O&G Book or https://wfb6thcharacters.blogspot.com/ ... y.html?m=1

EDIT: I am noticing they are capped at 50 pts though and both of the goblin specific banners are more than 50 pts, so they are going to only be take-able by BSBs either way I think. Still though, in those variant armies you can get a rerolled animosity fail or a rerolled panic fail, etc, or just go with a classic War Banner.
MorglumNeckSnapper

Post by MorglumNeckSnapper »

mattyfenby wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:48 pm..."Also, an easy to miss note is that on top of the Black Orcs and Boar Boyz/Savage Boar Boyz, a Big Uns unit can equip a Magic Banner up to 50 points. This is in addition to the generic unit of Boar Boyz or Savage Boar Boyz being able to carry one. (O&G Pg 6)
I caught that after my post. Thanks.
Just Tony

Post by Just Tony »

Magic item restrictions from 5th to 6th are a shock to some who switched editions. The fun thing is that Dogs of War have multiple units able to take magic banners but they only have the common items list, so War Banner and that's it. Part of me wonders if a magic item list was made and somehow didn't get attached to the pdf file before printing...