Pitched Battle (Khorne vs Dwarves)

Augrimm

Pitched Battle (Khorne vs Dwarves)

Post by Augrimm »

Found an old battle report between my brother's Dwarf army and my Khorne warriors (a bit of a departure from my normal Tzeentch Rodeo army, but I was feeling experimental).

The Doombringers of Jher'rah

Jher'rah "The Forbidden One" Exalted of Khorne with barded steed, sheild, Axe of Might, Gaze of the Gods. General. Leads the Bloodriders. - 213pts

Dh'raak "Skull-Taker" Exalted of Khorne with sheild, great weapon, Armour of Damnation. Leads the Acolytes of Blood. - 171pts

The Doombringers 18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne with halberds, full command, Banner of Rage. - 377pts

The Acolytes of Blood 24 Chaos Marauders with light armour, sheilds, full command. - 193 pts.

The Bloodriders 5 Chaos Knights of Khorne with full command. - 260pts

The Carnage 6 Chaos knights of Khorne with full command, Warbanner. - 318pts

The Dogs of War 2 units of 6 Chaos Warhounds. 36pts each

The Ragewind 10 Chaos Furies - 150pts

The Skull Crushers 3 Chaos Ogres with GWs - 123pts

The Skull Reapers 3 Chaos Ogres with GWs - 123pts

Lord Khadoch's Holding Force

Lord Khadoch Dwarf Lord with GW (Runes of Grim/Snorri/Cleaving), Gromril armour (Runes of Gromril/Resistance), Royal Blood, General. - 266pts

Khadoch's Bodyguard 19 Hammerers with shields, full command. - 277pts

20 Hammerers with sheilds, full command. - 290pts

20 Ironbreakers with full command. - 290pts

20 Longbeards with sheilds, full command. - 265pts

10 Thunderers - 140pts

10 Thunderers - 140pts

2 Organ guns - 120 each

2 Bolt Throwers - 45 each

The Battlefeild: The Northern part of the feild (dwarven side) was dominated by a hill in the center of the dwarven deployment zone and had a clustering of boulders off to the left of the hill(from my perspective), a few inches back from the center line. The Southern battlefeild (chaos side) had a large fen dominating the left side of the feild, leaving a small path between it and the boulders to advance through, while the bottom right of the feild contained some ruins.

Deployment (left to right from my perspective):

Dwarves: A unit of thunderers took position of the far left, angled more towards the middle of the feild to give them a good firing arc, followed by an organ gun covering the path between fen and boulders. The unit of 20 hammers and the longbeards followed, taking refuge behind the boulders to the left of th hill. On the hill proper the second unit of thunderers made themselves ready, preparing their weapons and taking careful aim at the chaos worshippers opposite, the remaining orgun gun tucked safely away further up the hill behind them. Lord Khadoch's bodyguard took up position to the right of the hill and then the ironbreakers, with a bolt thrower peering out from behind the space between the two units. Finally, the last bolt thrower deployed on the far right of the feild to try and line up some effilading shots.

Chaos: The ogres of the Skull Crushers lined up opposite the gap between fen and boulders, the Acolyes of Blood near them, angled towards the middle in preparation of going around the jutting rocks before them. Next, the knights of both the Blood Riders and Carnage set up centrally, with their respective hound units to the fore. The warriors of the Doombringers formed up beside them, flanked by the Skull Reaper ogres. Lastly, the furies of the Ragewind took up position within the ruins, eyeing the warmachines opposite as they flexed their deadly talons.

T1

Dwarves: The first unit of hammerers moved forwards slightly, angling towards the path between terrain in anticipation of the Skull Crushers attempting to cross through and attack the dwarven flanks. The longbeards next to them also advanced, wheeling in the opposite direction around the boulders to support the center of the battlefield and the central firebase. Lord Khadoch and his bodyguard did similiarly on the opposite side of the hill. The ironbreakers advanced directly forwards as well, challenging Skull Reapers and Doombringers before them. Lastly, the crew of the far right bolt thrower heaved and pushed their machine forward.

The only shooting that could reach the chaos forces was the bolt thrower that hadn't moved. It took aim at the frenzied warriors opposite it but the bolt went wide of the mark, missing.

Chaos: The Acolytes of Blood advanced towards the center, Dh' raak "Skull Taker", Priest of Khorne, leading them in prayers and litanies of hate and bloodshed. The Skull Crushers had no intention of facing the massed firepower and ranked verterens opposite them(not even ogres are THAT stupid) and moved to the right, taking position near where the Acolytes had been, preparing to move up in support next turn. The rest of the chaos army marched full tilt forwards, eager to rend apart dwarven flesh, the Ragewind launching themselves from their perches in the ruins to land right infront of the advanced bolthrower, screeching their hatred and bloodlust even as the crew began loading the ballista.

T2

Dwarves: Seeing the Skull Crushers moving off, the thunderers guarding the left flank marched forwards, seeking better avenues of fire, the hammerers near them marched forward into the breach in terrain, opening up a path for the organ gun to turn it's sights upon the chaos forces advancing towards the cental firebase, it's crew loading the mini-cannons of the device and taking careful aim. Both the longbeards and Lord's bodyguard advanced to cover the approach to the hill, protecting the gunners above from being double charged by the slavering hounds. The Ironbreakers stayed back, not wanting to advance closer to the advancing ogres and chaos warriors.

The screaming battlecries of the chaos warriors was drowned out by the thunder of detonating blackpowder as the dwarven riflemen and artilliary fired upon their advancing foe. The far right bolthrower sent an effilading shot down the flank of The Carnage, the crew whopping in delight as the bolt hit home and drove through the first knight, though their joyous cries dimmed somewhat as the bolt failed to penetrate any deeper into the chaos lines, the second knight distainfully plucking the spear long shaft from his side and tossing it away, apparently unfazed by the pain. The riflemen on the hill, who had been taking careful aim at Jher'rah's Bloodriders as they advanced let fly with a deadly barrage of lead. 7 of the 10 shots hit home, causing 4 wounds, 3 of which penetrated their foes armour, knocking the mightly figures clear off of their steeds. The far organ gun followed suit, just able to draw line of sight on the Bloodriders thanks to the hammerers' movement, causing 8 hits which shredded the remains of the Bloodriders, mightly Jher'rah himself only saved from harm by the divine protection of Khorne (the single wound making it past his armour was deflected by his wardsave). The hill organ gun took aim at the blood frenzied knights of the Carnage and fired, causing a massive 10 hits, 7 of which wounded, and the last of the proud and mighty Khorne cavalry was reduced to a mass of mangled flesh and a red hazy mist of blood. Jher'rah looked around in disbelief, stunned momentarily out of his battle frenzy at the loss of his elite riders. Clutching at his magical axe, he vowed his revenge. The far bolt thrower sent a long ranged shot across the feild to slam into the side of one of the Skull Reaper ogres, causing a single wound. Everything passed their panic checks for the knights being blown apart near them.

Chaos: Both hound packs charged forth, one leaping upon the ranked longbeards, the other upon Lord Khadoch's bodyguard, as the Skull Reapers smashed into their flanks. Jher'rah himself, the way now clear, urged his steed up the hill to engage the thunderers which fired upon him as he charged. 5 shots hit home causing 3 wounds. The enraged Khorne general made all 3 armour saves and, sweeping the bullets aside with his sheild, crashed into the center of the gunner's line. The Ragewind leapt forward upon the far right bolt thrower crew, who bravely moved forward to protect their machine.

The Acolytes of Blood marched forward, still singing praises to Khorne, to take up position where the Blood riders had recently stood, the Skull Crushers moving up in support. The Doombringers marched further forward, angling towards the ironbreakers, their intended victims.

Jher'rah hacked down at the dwarves before him like a whirling dervish, causing 4 hits and slaying 3. The dwarves bravely stood their ground.

The hounds assaulting the longbeards attacked with savage fury, scoring an impressive 5 hits and 3 wounds, all of which were delected by the finely crafted dwarven armour. The longbeards struck back, causing 2 hits and slaying a single hound. The dogs broke and fled 12", the dwarves pursuing a measily 2".

Lord Khadoch's hammerers locked sheilds and prepared for impact as the ogres and hounds crashed in upon them. A pair of the hounds buried the hammerer's veteren champion beneath them, one of them succeeding in tearing the wizened dwarf's throat out (2 hits, 1 wound, no save). The Skull Crushers tore into the dwarven flank, their massive cleavers taking a brutal tole. 3 hits, 3 wounds, 3 dead dwarves. The 3 remaining hammerers in combat struck back, but were obviously thrown off balance by the chaos charge and their attacks fail to accomplish anything ( 1 hit, 0 wounds), but Lord Khadoch made up for their lack, slaughtering 3 of the warhounds assaulting his unit (3 hits, 3 wounds). The combat was a draw, but the dwarven musican tilted the balance. Both chaos units, near to where their Lord was fighting, held on and pressed their attack.

The furies tore through the dwarven crew ( 3 hits, 3 wounds) and capered over the warmachine, tearing cable and ropes with their claws, scattering ammunition, and effectively destroying the machine. The nearby ironbreakers passed their panic check.

T3

Dwarves: The only movement in the dwarven turn was the hammerers moving around behind the boulders towards the center of the action, clearing sight for the thunderers to the Skull Crushers. With the chaos infantry closing in, the longbeards and ironbreakers saw little need in advancing and held their ground, locking sheilds and preparing for the coming charges.

The dwarven thunderers on the right flank took careful aim at the Skull Crushers and let fly their deadly barrage. 6 guns were on target, causing 2 wounds and mauling an ogre. The remaining bolt thrower fired upon the advancing Doombringers but once again the bolt missed the mark. The organ gun on the hill lined up their shot and began firing upon the Acolytes. The shot was a bit off target (only 4 hits), but the chief gunner smashed the side of the barrels with a spanner and corrected their aim (re-rolled a massive 10 hits!). 9 marauders were scythed down in explosions of blood and gore, their prayers faltering on their lips. The other gun prepared to follow suit but something went horribly wrong with the firing mechanism and the gun exploded in spectacular fashion, shredding the crew in red-hot shrapenal. Still, the Acolytes lost their nerve and fled before the onslaught, Dh' raak screaming for them to hold their ground in vain. In their panic the marauder warriors fled 9" straight backward.

In the raging combats the the remaining hounds succeeded in draging down another of the hammerer bodyguard (3 hits, 1 wound, no saves) before being wiped out by the elite warriors and their lord (hammerers killed 1 before their lord struck out, hitting and wounding with every attack). The hammerers in combat with the Skull Reapers slew the wounded ogre (3 hits, 2 wounds) before the 2 remaining ogres were able to raise their cleavers and hack down 2 hammerers (4 hits, 2 wounds, no saves). The ogres broke and fled 6", right into the path of of the Doombringer's charge on the ironbreakers, blocking them off. Not wanting to provide their flank to the warriors of chaos, the hammerers held their ground.

Upon the hill the Chaos general tore into the thunderers once again. 4 hits, 4 kills. Once more, the gunners held their ground.

Chaos: The Ragewind charged into the remaining bolthrower whose crew moved to protect it just as their doomed kin had. The Skull Reapers rallied to face the ironbreakers, but the Acolytes and hounds kept running, 5" and 4" respectively. The Skull Crushers turned and moved right before turning again to face the dwarven infantry.

In the fury combat, neither side could cause any casualties. Outnumbered by a fear causing unit, the dwarves broke and were slaughtered as they ran by the deadly chaos daemons, who pursued 8" towards the hill and ended up behind the hammerers.

Jher'rah raised his deadly axe once more, slaughtering 2 of the remaining 3 thunderers (3hits, 2 wounds). The survivor fled only to be trampled under the hooves of the Khorne champion's steed, who continued on to impact into the organ gun crew.

T4

Dwarves: The ironbreakers charged into the Skull Reapers who held while the longbeards attempted to charge the Skull Crushers, but their charge fell short. The hammers continued to advance behind the boulders, but were far from reaching any of the combats. Lord Khadoch's Bodyguard turned around to face back towards the hill to threaten Jher'rah just in case the gunner crew held somehow.

The only missle unit that remained was the thunderers on the left flank, who once again took deadly aim at the Skull Crushers. 4 shots struck home causing 2 wounds, finished the mangled ogre and wounding another.

In combat Jher'rah slaughtered the organ gun crew (5 hits, 4 wounds) and overan off of the battlefeild. The ironbreakers struck out with their deadly hammerers, leaving just a single wounded ogre to fight back (4 hits, 4 wounds). The survivor struck back, cutting down a regular ironbreaker and their champion ( 2 hits, 2 wounds, no saves). The remaining ogre fled 7", the iron breakers pursuing into the chaos warriors of the Doombringers.

Chaos: The Ragewind charged into the flank of the ironbreakers, to support the Doombringers. The remaining Skull Reaper rallied, turning to face the dwarves once more. The Acolytes rallied virtually on the edge of the battlefeild, turning to face the battle as Dh'raak berated them for their cowardice. The hounds however continued to flee off of the battlefeild. Lord Jher'rah returned to the battlefeild and steered his steed to the west, eager to shed more thunderer blood.

The furies ripped and tore at the ironbreakers with their talons, felling one of the gromril clad warriors (3hits, 1 wound, no save). The iron breakers struck next but their weapons proved ineffective against the magical flesh of the daemons (2 hits, 1 wound, deflected by daemonic aura). The dwarves had somewhat more success versus the chaos warriors, felling one of the elite Doombringers (4 hits, 2 wounds, 1 saved). Raising their halberds, the warriors of Khorne struck back, slaying a pair of ironbreakers in return (4 hits, 4 wounds, 2 saved). The ironbreakers lose the combat but hold.

T5

Dwarves: Hefting their axes and sheilds, the longbeards charged the Skull Crushers who helfted their cleavers to recieve the charge. The dwarf lord's retinue wheeled around to face the fury/warrior/ironbreaker combat. The thunderers reform on the spot to face the enraged Khorne champion bearing down on them, loading their guns for one final volley before they were engaged in close combat. The hammerers continued their advance around the boulders.

The longbeards smashed into the Skull Crushers with impressive force, their attacks toppling an ogre (4 hits, 3 wounds) and breaking the remaining ogre who couldn't even hit his diminuative foes. The long legged ogre easily outran the dwarves, fleeing 7" to their 4" pursuit.

In the larger combat, the warriors and furies couldn't penetrate the defences of the ironbreakers who made every save they were called to make. In return the dwarves struck down 3 of the chaos warriors (5 hits, 3 wounds, no saves).

Chaos: Jher'rah charged into the thunderers who leveled their guns at the Chaos general (7 hits, 4 wounds, armoured saved all). The Acolytes of Blood attempted to charge the longbeards but fell short. The last Skull Crusher rallied, facing back towards the longbeards.

Jher'rah tore apart 3 of the thunderers (5 hits, 3 wounds) and pursued the survivors off of the table. In the main combat the warriors struck first, felling 4 of the ironbreakers (8 hits, 6 wounds, 2 saves) while the furies once again couldn't penetrate the thick dwarven armour (2 hits, 1 wound, saved). The ironbreakers struck back slaying 2 chaos warriors (2 hits, 2 wounds, no saves) but were unsuccessful when attacking the furies (2 hits, 0 wounds). Outflanked, outnumbered and with their numbers dwindling, the ironbreakers broke only to be slaughtered by the furies as both they and the warriors pursued, the furies snatching up the fallen dwarf standard.

T6

Dwarves: The dwarven longbeards charged the remaining Skull Crusher but failed their charge as the ogre fled the battlefeild. Lord Khadoch's bodyguard attempted to charge the flank of the Doombringers but fell short.

Chaos: The Acolytes of Blood charged into the flank of the longbeards, their voices crying out in rapture at getting into combat at last. Jher'rah brought his steed back onto the battlefeild to watch the final combat unfold.

Dh'raak raised his intricately inscribed greataxe and send it scything across the ranks of the dwarven longbeards, striking all 4 with a single swipe. His elation turned to shock as 2 of the dwarves stumbled back to their feet ( rolled a pair of 1's to wound). No other combatant could finish their foe. The dwarven veterans were resolute and refused to flee (he rolled a double 1).

It was time to tally the VPs:

Dwarven VPs

Skull Crushers: 123
1/2 Skull Reapers: 62pts
The Carnage: 318 pts
The Bloodriders: 260pts
The Dogs of War: 72pts
Table Quarter: 100pts

Total: 935

Chaos VPs

Thunderers: 280pts
Orgun guns: 240pts
Bolthrowers: 90pts
Ironbreakers: 290pts
Captured standard: 100pts

Total: 1000pts

A difference of 65 points: DRAW

Battle Commentary: Well it doesn't get much closer than a 65pt difference. My opponent really knows how to play his army and is a master at manouvering his troops to open up lanes of fire. I honestly thought that my knights were safe from the left flank organ gun, but a bit of jury-rigging of his troop positions and suddenly my bodyguard are a red mist. I really thought that after the 3rd dwarf turn I was out of the game, with both of my knight units gone and my marauders fleeing, but my general managed to put paid to the dwarven missle threat, killing 400pts worth of shooty death on his own. My support troops really came through for me as well, causing fair damage. My ogres were incredibly reliable, never panicing and and rallying first time asking, every time.

My furies proved once again how invaluable they are, killing off two war engines and helping my warriors take down the ironbreakers and running them down as they fled. Without the furies providing flank and outnumber bonuses, the warriors would no doubt still be locked in combat with those bedamned ironbreakers.

Two decisions I made at the start of the game really changed it's outcome. After winning both rolls for choosing sides and first turn, I decided to give the dwarves both the side with the hill (figured it was the only sporting thing to do) and the first turn. Giving them the hill almost cost me the game, as it allowed the dwarven missle troops to concentrate their barrages better and pretty much eliminated the screening value of my hounds. The decision to give up the first turn however meant that the dwarves couldn't flee my last round charge, as they wouldn't be able to rally and had I broken them I would have won.

Still, hats of to my bro for a hard fought battle. His dwarven infantry put up an incredibly staunch resistance. It could easily have gone either way. Had my marauders fled another inch or 2 on their 2nd round of fleeing they would have fled the field and given the game to him, and if I had broken his longbeards (who needed to roll 5 or less to stand on the last turn) the game would have been mine.
Skittles are the power stones of Tzeentch. FEAR THE RAINBOW!!!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]