Breakthrough 2 - 2,000 point 6th Ed Battle Report - Beasts of Chaos vs. Mortals of Chaos

Just Tony

Breakthrough 2 - 2,000 point 6th Ed Battle Report - Beasts of Chaos vs. Mortals of Chaos

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 2-9-2022

Squeezing a game in at an awkward time of day on a night where my wife has YET AGAIN forced me to power through my 3rd shift sleeping schedule to get on hers will always lead to some fun tactical blunders.

WARRIORS OF CHAOS

Lord: Chaos Lord – Hellfire Sword, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Protection – 310 points
Hero: Aspiring Champion – Battle Standard, Banner of the Gods – 230 points
Core: Warriors (21) – Full command – 345 points
Core: Warriors (21) – Full command – 345 points
Core: Warriors (20) – Full command – 330 points
Core: Marauders (20) – Great Weapons, Full Command – 165 points
Special: Knights (5) – Full Command – 215 points
Rare: Spawn – 60 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

That’s right, no wizards. Apparently he ran the list he had prepared for a game we were going to have with his Chaos against my Dwarfs. We’ll see how well it goes with him having stock magic defense…

After bragging last BatRep in the comments that I like to change it up and not run the same list all the time I shaved off time getting ready by running the same list I ran last battle.

BEASTS OF CHAOS

Hero: Wargor – Chaos Armor, Shield, Crown of Horns – 102 points
Hero: Wargor – Battle Standard, Beast Banner, Heavy Armor – 149 points
Hero: Brayshaman (Level 2) – 2 Dispel Scrolls – 160 points
Hero: Brayshaman (Level 2) – Staff of Darkoth, Dispel Scroll – 160 points
Core: Beast Herd (6 Gors, 12 Ungors) – Extra Hand Weapons, Full Command – 125 points
Core: Beast Herd (6 Gors, 12 Ungors) – Extra Hand Weapons, Full Command – 125 points
Core: Bestigors (19) – Full Command – 258 points
Core: Bestigors (19) – Full Command – 258 points
Special: Tuskgor Chariots – 85 points
Special: Tuskgor Chariots – 85 points
Special: Minotaurs (8) – Great Weapons – 368 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

Two BatReps in a row with armies coming out to exactly 2,000. Somewhere someone with crippling OCD is weeping tears of joy.

We wind up rolling Capture and got straight to business. I chose sides and to deploy first, figuring I might need to run through woods if necessary.
BREAK_DEP1.jpg
BREAK_DEP1.jpg (390.94 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_DEP2.jpg
BREAK_DEP2.jpg (517.68 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_DEP3.jpg
BREAK_DEP3.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
I roll my spells and land on Dark Hand of Death and Doom and Darkness for the Staff of Darkoth Brayshaman, and then roll/choose Steed of Shadows and Pit of Shades for the other Brayshaman

Winning the roll I figure I might as well let him get closer and maybe facilitate some charges…

TURN 1 WARRIORS

Everything on foot marches forward at full speed, while the Knights move up short of 7” and the Spawn shambles up 5”.
BREAK_T1A1.jpg
BREAK_T1A1.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
And that’s his turn. Damn…

TURN 1 BEASTS

I spend my movement passing all Unruly tests and sending everything up 6” with the exception of the chariots who travel their full 7” to reposition so they are evenly on line.
BREAK_T1B1.jpg
BREAK_T1B1.jpg (462.24 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
I cast Pit of Shades on the Marauders which nets me 3 dead and makes them half speed next turn. Dark Hand of Death on the BSB’s Warriors whiffs completely.

TURN 2 WARRIORS

The left flank and right flank Warriors both crest the hills in front of them while the Lord and BSB leave the units and move 2” in front to screen them. Not sure what this was about but there must be some tactical madness involved.

The Knights do not move at all and the Spawn ambles forward 6”.

MUST be some sort of tactical madness involved…
BREAK_T2A1.jpg
BREAK_T2A1.jpg (511.51 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2A2.jpg
BREAK_T2A2.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2A3.jpg
BREAK_T2A3.jpg (496.58 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
TURN 2 BEASTS

I start my turn with multiple charges: the left flank Herd charges the left flank Warriors, the Wargor’s Bestigors charge the Aspiring BSB, and the Minotaurs charge the Lord, all of whom hold and pass every relevant test needed.

The center Herd and right flank Herd move up 5” toward the Spawn and Marauders respectively, the Chariots move up 7” and 4”, and the right flank Bestigors back up 2”.
BREAK_T2B1.jpg
BREAK_T2B1.jpg (496.79 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2B2.jpg
BREAK_T2B2.jpg (548.7 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2B3.jpg
BREAK_T2B3.jpg (306.2 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2B4.jpg
BREAK_T2B4.jpg (109.45 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T2B5.jpg
BREAK_T2B5.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
Pit of Shades failed on the Marauders and I had nothing that I could really cast from that point so I stopped. Threw away Power Dice. Damn…

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!! Ashley issues a challenge with the Champion in his left flank Warrior unit which I gladly accept with my left flank Herd’s Foe-Render. Both unit leaders whiff completely, however. The Bray Shaman manages to kill 1 Warrior while a Gor kills a Warrior as well, but is cut down in response. The Herd breaks and flees 7” with the Warriors pursuing 7”, wiping them out. The BSB’s Bestigors pass their Panic test.

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!! Ashley issues a challenge with his BSB which I gladly accept with my BSB. Epic showdown. The Beastmen Standard fails to do a single wound and is wounded once in return. The Warriors’ BSB passes his Stubborn Break test.

The showdown with the Lord is far more one sided as he is simply pasted by the Minotaurs who cannot make an overrun due to Bloodgreed.

THIS MOMENT RIGHT HERE was about Ashley’s limit with his bad dice rolling. Like pretty much ready to give up Warhammer completely limit. If it wasn’t for some better luck in later turns, this may well have been our final BatRep…

TURN 3 WARRIORS

Ashley starts the third turn by passing his Fear test to charge the Minotaurs with his right flank Warriors. The Knights charge the closest Chariot, while the Marauders charge the right flank Herd, all of whom hold. The Spawn moves 5” forward into the center Herd who flee in response.

The left flank Warriors move up 4” while the center Warriors hold.

The center Warriors holding had a moment we needed to address. What Ashley WANTED to do was charge in and basically get into base around the BSB. We both went into it under the understanding that there was no mechanic to allow that to happen. I’m thinking from here on out we WILL allow it…
BREAK_T3A1.jpg
BREAK_T3A1.jpg (496.02 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T3A2.jpg
BREAK_T3A2.jpg (337.19 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
BREAK_T3A3.jpg
BREAK_T3A3.jpg (145.65 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
The Warriors’ BSB doles out 1 more wound, killing the Beastmen BSB outright. (Thank goodness, now I can just type BSB again…) The BSB then passes his break test.

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Marauder Champion rains down a flurry of attacks that fail to hit the Foe-Render, who promptly lands the 1 wound necessary to kill the Marauder Champion. The Marauders kill 1 Gor while losing one of their own. The Marauders then pass their Break test.

The right flank Warriors manage to land 1 Minotaur wound while losing 2 Warriors in return. The Minotaurs, however, fail their Break test and flee 3” with the Warriors pursuing 5”, wiping them out.

What was that about bad rolling, Ashley?

The Knights kill the left Chariot outright and Over-run 16”. The ensuing Panic failure sends the right Chariot fleeing off the board.

Seriously, you now officially have no room to bitch about bad rolls…

TURN 3 BEASTS

Whelp, my battle line looks decidedly thinner…

The Wargor’s Bestigors pass their Panic test, thankfully, and the center Herd rallies. The only movement this turn is the Wargor’s Bestigors reforming.
BREAK_T3B1.jpg
BREAK_T3B1.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
Pit of Shades kills 2 of the right flank Warriors who manage to dig themselves out of the pit.

The BSB whiffs all of his attacks and the Bestigors respond by landing 3 wounds, killing him outright.

The right flank Herd kills 4 Marauders with 1 Gor dying in return. The Marauders Break and flee 8” with the Herd pursuing 5”.

TURN 4 WARRIORS

The center Warriors start the turn by charging the now characterless Bestigors who hold. The Marauders flee a further 5”. The left flank Warriors then reform to face the battle line while the Knights march inward to the deployment zone.

You know, the objective…

Meanwhile the Spawn ambles an impressive 9” which gets it into contact with the Wargor’s Bestigors’ flank, who promptly fail their Fear check and hit on 6’s this turn.
BREAK_T4A1.jpg
BREAK_T4A1.jpg (436.95 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The center Warriors’ Champion takes down the Bestigor Champion while 3 more Bestigors are pulled down by the Warriors. Unnerved the Bestigors can’t manage a single hit back. Breaking, the Bestigors flee 3” with the Warriors pursuing 11” (!) and wiping them out.

Yeah, bad rolls. Whatever, Ashley…

The Spawn can’t manage a wound on the Bestigors while only 1 wound is done in return. Unbreakable sees the combat forward.

TURN 4 BEASTS

The right flank Herd charges the fleeing Marauders who flee another 7”, while the center herd charges the center Warriors who Hold in response.
BREAK_T4B1.jpg
BREAK_T4B1.jpg (415.93 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
The remaining Brayshaman casts Steed of Shadows on himself and flings himself directly at the fleeing Marauders who only manage to flee another 4”. Not enough to escape, though, and they are wiped out.

The center Herd whiffs completely while 1 Gor dies in return, but the Break test is passed.

The Spawn kills 1 Bestigor without taking a single hit in return, but Unbreakable keeps the combat going.

TURN 5 WARRIORS

The right flank Warriors charge the engaged Bestigors to the front who Hold while the left flank Warriors sidestep into the Deployment zone.
BREAK_T5A1.jpg
BREAK_T5A1.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
The center Warriors kill 3 Gors while losing none in return. The Herd flees 6” with the Warriors pursing 6”, just enough to wipe them out.

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Warriors’ Champion whiffs while the Wargor whiffs in response. Stellar. I picture one of those slap fights between nerds desperate to not be hit. Anyway, both units ALSO whiff their attacks while the Spawn lands the only 2 wounds done this turn, resulting in a draw.

And I simply concede at that time. What little I had left couldn’t stop the Chaos forces from having the 666 points necessary in my Deployment zone to win.

Hindsight tells me I should have managed some flankers a little better and maybe waited to bait charges a little better. Not much else I think could have improved for me.

As always I await responses and criticisms.