Beastmen vs. Dwarfs - 6th Edition Battle Report

Just Tony

Beastmen vs. Dwarfs - 6th Edition Battle Report

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 1-4-2021

It’s that time again! This one took me a week to even START to type up DESPITE having the entire week off of work. Sometimes I think I have more free time when I AM working…

At any rate, I got bored while sitting at home waiting for the kids to be asleep enough to carry to their beds and made a chart of all the match-ups I’ve posted in the BatRep section here so I could cross reference and try to get to matches we haven’t done yet. THIS was born from that.

There haven’t been many matches with Ashley running the Beastmen, and we needed a nice Paint Curse match for the Dwarfs I had spent so much time painting over the last couple months, so why not?

The Beastmen list was as so:

Lord: Beastlord – Chaos Armor, Axes of Khorgor, Darkheart – 195 points
Hero: Wargor – Heavy Armor, Beast Banner – 149 points
Hero: Bray-shaman (Level 2) – Mark of Slaanesh, Braystaff, Goretooth, Talisman of Protection – 176 points
Core: Beast Herd (5 Gors, 13 Ungors) – Two hand weapons, Full Command – 122 points
Core: Beast Herd (5 Gors, 15 Ungors) – Two hand weapons, Full Command – 130 points
Core: Beast Herd (5 Gors, 15 Ungors) – Two hand weapons, Full Command – 130 points
Core: Bestigor (20) – Full Command, Vitriolic Totem – 295 points
Core: Bestigor (20) – Musician, Champion – 258 points
Core: Bestigor (20) – Musician, Standard – 258 points
Rare: Chaos Spawn – 60 points
Rare: Chaos Giant – Mutant Monstrosity – 225 points
TOTAL: 1,998 points

The Dwarfs list should shock nobody as I posted a pic of the list before, but just to be sure…

Lord: Dwarf Lord – Gromgril Armor, Shield, Master Rune of Spite, Rune of Fury, Rune of Striking, Rune of Stone – 235 points
Core: Warriors (20) – Full Command, Heavy Armor, Shield – 205 points
Core: Warriors (20) – Full Command, Heavy Armor, Shield – 205 points
Core: Thunderers (10) – 140 points
Core: Thunderers (10) – 140 points
Core: Miners (20) – Full Command – 270 points
Core: Rangers (20) – Full Command – 270 points
Special: Hammerers (19) – Full Command – 296 points
Special: Slayers (20) – Standard, Musician – 238 points
TOTAL: 1,999 points

We were on a time frame so we agreed to do a simple pitched battle with a rather unremarkable battlefield layout. We also operated under the 4 man rank bonus rule despite the fact that he’s reticent we use 5 man. This will OFFICIALLY be the last report between the 2 of us that uses 4 man rank bonus.
BvsDDEP1.jpg
BvsDDEP1.jpg (308.1 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDDEP2.jpg
BvsDDEP2.jpg (312.47 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDDEP3.jpg
BvsDDEP3.jpg (328.4 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
I chose to scout my Rangers which allowed me to put them slightly in advance and in a copse of woods on the right flank which I hoped I could use to my advantage to catch an Unruly mob. I also chose to reserve my Miners as well. A quick roll earns us a tie for choice of turn, followed by another tie, and then finally Ashley wins the roll.

TURN 1 BEASTMEN

The armies are too far apart to declare any charges, and the mobs all pass their Unruly tests. The Mainline moves ahead full speed at the Dwarf battle line while the Spawn lurches forward 9”. The Right Flank Herd moves at top speed at an angle toward the center of the Dwarf line.
BvsDT1B1.jpg
BvsDT1B1.jpg (308.09 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT1B2.jpg
BvsDT1B2.jpg (320.4 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
The Bray-Shaman casts Bears Anger unopposed, and the turn ends.

TURN 1 DWARFS

Both Warriors regiments move forward 2”, goading the charge while the Slayers wheel around the woods beside them their full 6”. The Rangers wheel 3” further through the woods angling toward the center of the Beastmen line while the rest of the army stands still.
BvsDT1D1.jpg
BvsDT1D1.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
I use my Power Dice to dispel Bears Anger. Just because…

The Rightmost Thunderer unit inflicts 2 wounds on the Giant while the other Thunderer unit misses with all its shots.

TURN 2 BEASTMEN

The right two Herds fail their Unruly checks, with one charging the Rangers and the other charging the Slayers who both Hold.The rest of the army edges forward just out of charge ranges of the Dwarf army. The Spawn shambles forward 3”.
BvsDT2B1.jpg
BvsDT2B1.jpg (337.57 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT2B2.jpg
BvsDT2B2.jpg (257.9 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Blissful Throes is dispelled, Bear’s Anger passes. Well I need SOMETHING to do with my Power Dice, right?

In the ensuing combat on the right flank the Gors manage to kill 2 Rangers, while the Rangers answer back with 2 Gors. Eye for an eye level stuff right there. The Herd then fails its Break test and runs 8” with the Rangers pursuing 5”.

The other Herd rains down blows on the unarmored Slayers but can only manage to kill one of them. The Foe Render and 2 Gors fall in return. The resolve of the Herd breaks and they promptly run away 8” with the enfuriated Slayers pursuing 10”, wiping the Herd out.

At this point I’d like to make a note of the most catastrophic event in the game. I leave my pursuit roll on the back of the Slayers’ movement tray so I don’t forget their charge. I don’t adjust for the modifier as I have this neat thing called a memory. This was apparently not good enough for Ashley, who took it upon himself to turn my 5 to a 4 on my roll. Why is this important? Well, young warriors, let’s see how the next turns go for me…

TURN 2 DWARFS

The Miners enter on the left board edge, moving alongside the leftmost Thunderers to get into position for a flank charge next turn. Before that move happened the Rangers declared a charge on the fleeing Herd who proceed to flee 4” further, causing the Rangers to fail their charge.

The Slayers reform facing the battle line while the rest of the Dwarf forces move ahead full to try to kick off the charges next turn and leave very little room for charge maneuvering.

The Thunderers stay put so they can hopefully shoot down the Giant this turn.
BvsDT2D1.jpg
BvsDT2D1.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT2D2.jpg
BvsDT2D2.jpg (355.75 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT2D3.jpg
BvsDT2D3.jpg (348 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT2D4.jpg
BvsDT2D4.jpg (210.79 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Bear’s Anger is dispelled with my Power Dice. Told you it’d give me something to do…

Both Thunderers unload on the Left Flank Bestigor unit, resulting in 1 dead Bestigor. Hmmmm…

TURN 3 BEASTMEN

The Left Flank Herd charges in tandem into the Left Warriors unit with the Spawn who rolled 12” for its move, and the Warriors Hold with a passing Fear test.

The Giant charges the Right Warriors as there was just enough gap to get through. The Warriors fail their Terror test and flee 9” away from the Giant, not enough to keep from being wiped out. The Bestigors, who charged in tandem with the Giant, redirect into the Hammerers who passed their Panic test. Hmmmmmm, some bad luck on my rolls. I wonder why…

The Herd on the Right Flank rallies, and the other 2 Bestigor units reposition on the line.
BvsDT3B1.jpg
BvsDT3B1.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT3B2.jpg
BvsDT3B2.jpg (350.05 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT3B3.jpg
BvsDT3B3.jpg (358.83 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT3B4.jpg
BvsDT3B4.jpg (201.31 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Blissful Throes is again dispelled, but this time Bear’s Anger fails to cast.

The Dwarf Lord challenges the Bestigors to single combat, but only the unit Champion will answer the call. Intimidated by the venerable Lord, the Champ fails to hit the Dwarf. Despite an obscene number of attacks the Dwarf Lord only does 2 wounds to the Champion. The Bestigors kill 2 Hammerers while the Battle Standard misses all his attacks. The Hammerers can only manage to kill 1 Bestigor. All added up, the match ends in a Draw. Hmmmmmmm…

The Spawn whiffs every attack while the Herd kills 2 Warriors. The Warriors can’t martial a single wound, lose their Break test and flee 5”, where the Spawn pursues 6” and the Herd restrains, leaving a nice empty plot of real estate where my last unit of Dwarf Warriors used to be. Hmmmmmmmmm…

TURN 3 DWARFS

The Rangers again attempt to charge the Right Flank Herd who choose to Flee, their 8” move easily outpacing the Rangers and leaving them ambling forward 3”.

The Thunderers both charge the Left Flank Herd who ALSO Flees, this time going 9” and leaving the Thunderers ineffective for the rest of the turn.

The Slayers charge the Spawn, who Holds.

The Hammerers pass their Terror test while the Miners move ahead full.

The Battle Standard again whiffs, the Lord kills 2 Bestigors, the Bestigors kill 1 Hammerer while the Hammerers manage to kill 1 Bestigor in return. The Bestigors pass their Break test with a reroll from the BSB.
The Slayers kill the Spawn outright and overrun 6” into the flank of the Bestigors engaged with the Hammerers.

TURN 4 BEASTMEN

The Left Flank Bestigors charge the Miners who Hold in response. The Beastlord’s Bestigors Flank Charge the Slayers who also hold.

Both Herds Rally as the Giant moves behind the Hammerers.
BvsDT4B1.jpg
BvsDT4B1.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Bear’s Anger is the only spell cast and is dispelled.

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Bestigor Champion misses his attacks while the Bestigors despite having the Vitriolic Totem can only manage to kill 1 Miner. The Bestigor Champion dies alonside 2 of his regiment. The unit then Breaks from combat 9” with the Miners pursuing 8” into the Beast Herd.

The Bray-Shaman, Beastlord, and Bestigors combined kill 7 Slayers. The Slayers’ front rank manages to hit 2 out of 8 attacks, killing 1 Bestigor in the BSB’s unit. The BSB and the Dwarf Lord both whiff their hits/wounds, with the Bestigors killing 2 Hammers as the last Hammerer attacking lands 1 wound on the BSB. Stubborn sees the Hammerers pass while Unbreakable keeps the Slayers in it.

TURN 4 DWARFS

Rangers march toward the Right Flank Herd while the Thunderers march toward the center of the table.
BvsDT4D1.jpg
BvsDT4D1.jpg (304.97 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT4D2.jpg
BvsDT4D2.jpg (359.47 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT4D3.jpg
BvsDT4D3.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT4D4.jpg
BvsDT4D4.jpg (348.17 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Miner Champion kills the Foe Render. The remaining Miners kill 3 Gors while 1 Miner dies. The Herd Breaks and flees 9” while the Miners pursue 8”.

The Beastlord kills 5 (!) Slayers, the BSB whiffs yet again, the Dwarf Lord kills 1 BSB Bestigor, the Slayers kill 5 BSB Bestigors, the Bray-Shaman and Bestigor from his unit kill 1 Slayer each, while the Hammerers finish off the BSB. Hammerers pass their Stubborn Break test while the Slayers are still Unbreakable.

TURN 5 BEASTMEN

The Giant charges the rear of the Hammerers, which leads to the Hammerers passing both their Fear and Panic checks. The Left Flank Bestigors and Left Flank Herd both rally while the Right Flank Herd fails Unruly and charges the MORE than willing Rangers.
BvsDT5B1.jpg
BvsDT5B1.jpg (349.27 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
BvsDT5B2.jpg
BvsDT5B2.jpg (212.98 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Bear’s Anger is dispelled.

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Right Flank Foe Render kills the Ranger Champion and the Herd itself kills 2 Rangers, losing 1 Gor in the process. The Rangers Break and flee 3” with the Herd pursuing 10”, wiping them out. Hmmmmmmmmm…

The Giant kills 1 Hammerer, the Dwarf Lord kills 1 Bestigor, the Beastlord kills 3 Slayers and the Bray-Shaman kills the final 2 Slayers. Bestingors kill 4 Hemmerers while 1 Bestigor dies in return. Stubborn Break test is passed, and the Beastlord’s unit moves forward to be online with the Hammerers. We both agreed that this scenario led to an odd spot where the Bestigors might have been considered unlocked and able to charge, but we figured this was the best solution, simply moving them up to the battle line with the main unit in combat.

TURN 5 DWARFS

The Miners Charge the Bestigors again, who hold. The Thunderers stand where they are .
BvsDT5D1.jpg
BvsDT5D1.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
The Thunderers combine fire and kill 4 Ungors, but can’t force a Panic.

The Miners kill 3 Bestigors with no wounds back. The Bestigors Break and flee 7” with the Miners pursuing 7” and hitting the Left Flank Herd.

The Dwarf Lord kills 2 Bestigors. The Gian rolls 2 6’s and yeets itself across both the Hammerers and the Bestigors, killing 5 Hammers including the Champion and 2 Bestigors. The Bestigors kill 1 Hammerer on top of this and lose 1 more of their own in return. Against all adds the unit passes its Stubborn Break test and the combat gets slightly redressed.
BvsDT5D2.jpg
BvsDT5D2.jpg (284.83 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
You ever wonder what a mod looks like when he is extremely skeptical he’ll have ANY units on the board after turn 6? He looks pretty much like this…

TURN 6 BEASTMEN

No Moves, Bear’s Anger is dispelled.
BvsDT6B1.jpg
BvsDT6B1.jpg (311.22 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Miner Champion whiffs. Wow. That’s okay, so does the Foe Render. The Miners kill 1 Gor while 2 Miners die in return. I fail the Break test and flee 1” (!) as the Herd pursues 5”, wiping the Miners out.

Now, as an open letter to the people in the dice thread on dakka that gave me grief about my dice jinx paranoia? Look. At. This. Battle.

The Beastlord kills 2 Hammerers, the Dwarf Lord kills 3 Bestigors, the Giant has to pick itself back up, and the Lord’s save stops the 1 Bestigor hit that wounds. We usually roll before adding up specific modifiers for Break tests to see if we even need to finish, like in the case of double 6’s. In this case it was double 1’s. INSANE COURAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! This Dwarf Lord doesn’t want to give up at all.

TURN 6 DWARFS

No moves.
BvsDT6D1.jpg
BvsDT6D1.jpg (313.85 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Thunderers manage to drop 1 Ungor on the Left Flank.

We do a quick roll up of what could happen. The Dwarf Lord Flees, is overrun, and we call it there.

Man, that was brutal. I should have been more aggressive instead of trying to set up charges early. Had I pushed, I may have gotten different charges off and turned the game. Or maybe keeping my opponent’s damn hands off my dice…

We recently got an Organ Gun off ebay. As much as I hate the fact that it represents me failing at making the Dwarfs the one army I own that has NO metal in it, it also represents added firepower to my battleline.

Can’t wait for the rematch…