The Ogham Stones - 6th Ed. Dark Shadows Battle Report - Lizardmen vs. Dogs of War 2,000 points

Just Tony

The Ogham Stones - 6th Ed. Dark Shadows Battle Report - Lizardmen vs. Dogs of War 2,000 points

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 2-25-2020

Absolute madness here. The three batreps posted were back to back, so Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. However, with my hectic work and home schedules it has taken forever to actually get this thing typed up.

The scenario today was The Ogham Stones, which was the scenario that the Reclaim The Stones scenario I typed earlier was based upon. Essentially you have two armies coming in from the short board edges to claim the stone circle. Wizards in the circle generate double Power and Dispel dice, and the victory conditions are "any player's turn where the player has a unit or units in the circle, with no enemy units in the circle" can claim victory. All other results keep the game going. So we're talking the potential to go for 10 turns, which is where the game would end otherwise.

We agreed on points, allowed Albion items for the Dogs of War, agreed to NOT use the Winds of Magic rules from the Dark Shadows Campaign, nor the weather rules. We also opted against Truthsayer and Dark Emissary per each force, mainly because we were mostly through set up before it dawned on us we could take them, and we figured we would just smash on from there.

The army lists were as follows:

LIZARDMEN

Lord: Oldblood - Mark of Itzl, Mark of Quetzl, Mark of Tepok, Cold One mount, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendant - 285 points
Hero: Skink Priest (Level 2) - 2 Dispel Scrolls - 150 points
Core: Saurus Warriors (20) - Full Command - 270 points
Special: Saurus Cavalry (9) - Full Command - 365 points
Rare: Salamander Packs (3) - 195 points
Rare: Salamander Packs (3) - 195 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

Once again I go against running a Slann. Not sure why I'm so inclined to shy away from it, but I like what I see and I'm hoping Cold Blooded will be good enough to keep me on the objective.

For spells I rolled up Comet of Canada and another spell which I promptly swapped out for Second Sign of Amul.
TOSCHAR1.jpg
TOSCHAR1.jpg (416.89 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
DOGS OF WAR

Lord: General - Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Claw of Devastation - 207 points
Hero: Paymaster - Armor of the Gods, Talisman of Protection, Brace of Pistols - 119 points
Hero: Wizard (Level 2) - 2 Dispel Scrolls - 145 points
Hero: Wizard (Level 2) - Dispel Scroll - 120 points
Core: Pikemen (20) - Musician, Standard - 240 points
Core: Pikemen (19) - Musician, Standard - 230 points
Core: Heavy Cavalry (10) - Barding, Musician, Standard - 240 points
Core: Heavy Cavalry (9) - Barding, Musician, Standard - 219 points
Core: Duelists (12) - Pistol - 108 points
Core: Duelists (12) - Pistol - 108 points
Special: Ogres (3) - Great Weapons, Light Armor - 132 points
Special: Ogres (3) - Great Weapons, Light Armor - 132 points

TOTAL: 2,000 points

Both Wizards wound up with Second Sign of Amul and Uranon's Thunderbolt.
TOSCHAR2.jpg
TOSCHAR2.jpg (523.13 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Pretty straightforward, anything that could go through terrain without penalty was set up to do so, regiments in the clear. I only had 1 speed unit so I sent it up the left flank. It's about here that I realized I didn't have the manpower I needed and was going to have to rely on my superior Leadership.

Ashley had what can be described as the most symmetrical deployment ever recorded, and it was not on purpose. He just started laying out and realized he had pretty much mirrored his two flanks.
TOSDEP1.jpg
TOSDEP1.jpg (460.73 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOSDEP2.jpg
TOSDEP2.jpg (516.17 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOSDEP3.jpg
TOSDEP3.jpg (482.18 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
With a flick of the dice we wind up with me choosing to go first.

TURN 1 LIZARDMEN

I start the turn with passing my Stupidity test and fling all my units ahead full speed. This scenario isn't built for dilly-dallying.

I fail Second Sign on one die, and throw the rest into the Comet, which draws out the black and yellow Wizard's scroll.
TOST1A1.jpg
TOST1A1.jpg (585.41 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 1 DOGS OF WAR

The Wizards set up their camping chairs on their table edge as the rest of the army surges forward at top speed.

Both Uranon's Thunderbolts fail to cast.
TOST1B1.jpg
TOST1B1.jpg (511.99 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 2 LIZARDMEN

Stupidity is passed on the Cold Ones, but not on myself as I gingerly move them up 5". The Salamanders move up 6" to attempt to shoot, while the rest of the army moves ahead full.

Irresistible Force on Second Sign nets me two rerolls while the Comet draws the full fury of Ashley's dispel dice, ending it spectacularly.

Measuring range on the Salamanders has me swearing as I'm shy of being able to shoot.
TOST2A1.jpg
TOST2A1.jpg (573.33 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 2 DOGS OF WAR

The leftmost Knights use facing movements to back 3" away from the Saurus Cavalry, trying to draw me into charge range. (Damn it, I should have just went full bore and drew the charge in the first place...) The Wizards pull out their sun reflectors as they camp out in the back, and the rest of the army moves ahead full.

The first Uranon's Thunderbolt draws out my first scroll, while the second Uranon's rolls Irresistible Force, blasting 3 of the Saurus Cavalry to the ground. The Panic check is easily passed.
TOST2B1.jpg
TOST2B1.jpg (545.83 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 3 LIZARDMEN

This time I'm not making the same mistake. I pass Stupidity and move all melee units ahead full speed. The Priest repositions himself in the circle to stay out of potential charge ranges or overruns/pursuits worse come to worst. The Salamanders move forward to line up shots.

Irresistible Force is rolled again on Second Sign, netting me 2 rerolls, but Comet is dispelled.

In the Shooting Phase the leftmost Salamanders cause 8 wounds on the leftmost Ogres, who pass thei4r panic test. The rightmost Salamanders do far worse, only downing 1 of the rightmost Heavy Cavalry.
TOST3A1.jpg
TOST3A1.jpg (642.59 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 3 DOGS OF WAR

Time to test that legendary Lizardmen charge resilience...

The lone Ogre on the left side charges the Skink Priest, who fails his Fear test and flees 9" as the Ogre hits the center Saurus Warrior unit's flank. The other Ogre unit charges the front of the center Saurus unit, who pass their Fear test and hold.

The leftmost Cavalry declare a charge on the Cold One Cavalry who hold in response. Fear is failed, however, and the Heavy Cavalry fails to charge.

The Heavy Cavalry unit on the right charges the rightmost Saurus Warriors, who hold in response.

All other units but the Wizards (shocker) move full speed towards the circle.
TOST3B1.jpg
TOST3B1.jpg (583.27 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Uranon's Thunderbolt 1 gets dispelled with double 6's, which must have messed with the mind of the second Wizard as Uranon's Thunderbolt 2: Electric Boogaloo failed to cast.

In the Close Combat phase the Ogres deal out a punishing 7 wounds on the center Saurus unit including its Champion, while the attacks back manage only to dole out the 1 wound necessary to finish off the lone Ogre on the flank. The Saurus regiment breaks and flees 8" with the Ogres pursuing 7".

The Heavy Cavalry on the right side of the board land hard, killing 5 Saurus. The Saurus respond with 1 Cavalryman killed. Breaking, the Saurus flee 8" with the Cavalry pursuing 11" wiping them out.
TOST3B2.jpg
TOST3B2.jpg (555.37 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 4 LIZARDMEN

I start the round with nobody panicking from the fleeing and wiped out units.

Stupidity is passed (Damn, I'm REALLY making up for that one game at Ashley's old house... Yeah, it's one of the other Batreps. Liz vs DOW ironically enough.) and the Saurus Cavalry declares a charge on the left side Cavalry, who pass their Fear test and hold.

The leftmost Saurus' charge the leftmost Duelists, who Stand and Shoot as a reaction, killing 2 Saurus.

The Saurus regiment reforms, but the Priest flees another 4".

The leftmost Salamanders back away from the leftmost Pikemen, ranging on the Ogres while the rightmost Salamanders move forward to the circle, ranging on the unengaged Duelists.

No magic as my Priest is running.
TOST4A1.jpg
TOST4A1.jpg (631.19 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4A2.jpg
TOST4A2.jpg (656.69 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4A3.jpg
TOST4A3.jpg (517.51 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The Shooting phase sees the left side Salamanders belching 22 hits on the Ogres, landing 5 wounds but failing to Panic the massive beasts.

The right side Salamanders also score 22 hits on the Duelists, but manage a much more impressive 13 wounds, which is enough to wipe out the unit. The Paymaster's Pikemen pass their Panic test. (Nice alliteration, Tony...)

Close combat sees the Cold One Cavalry and Oldblood kill 6 Heavy Cavalry, preventing any attacks back. Failing their Insane Courage roll, the Cavalry flee 15" with the Cold Ones only managing to pursue 8".

The left side Saurus kill 3 Duelists while suffering no wounds in return. The Duelists then break and flee 6" with the Saurus pursuing 10", wiping out the unit and pursuing into the Paymaster's Pikes, and causing the left side Pikes to panic and flee 6".
TOST4A4.jpg
TOST4A4.jpg (406.8 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4A5.jpg
TOST4A5.jpg (427.7 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 4 DOGS OF WAR

The turn starts with the right side Cavalry and Ogres charging the rear most Saurus Warriors in the front and flank. The Saurus pass their Fear test at hold.

The left side Cavalry and the fleeing Pikes rally. This ends the movement phase.
TOST4B1.jpg
TOST4B1.jpg (555.73 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4B2.jpg
TOST4B2.jpg (460.74 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4B3.jpg
TOST4B3.jpg (513.39 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The first Second Sign passes, though I forgot to write down how many rerolls they got. The second Second Sign (heh) got dispelled though.

The right side Cavalry kill 4 Saurus, the Ogres kill 2, and the Saurus land the 1 wound needed to finish off the wounded Ogre. The Saurus break and flee 2" with the Ogres pursuing 6" and the Cavalry pursuing 11", easily wiping the unit out.

The Saurus Champion challenges the Paymaster, who accepts. The Champion whiffs while the Paymaster kills the Champ with 2 Overkill wounds to boot. The Pikemen kill 2 of the Saurus who can't account for a single wound. Insane Courage is rolled, guaranteeing the fight lasts to the next turn.
TOST4B4.jpg
TOST4B4.jpg (577.19 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST4B5.jpg
TOST4B5.jpg (592.75 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TURN 5 LIZARDMEN

The Saurus Cavalry passes its Stupidity test and charges the left side Cavalry, who pass their Fear test and hold. The left side Salamanders charge the right side Cavalry who pass THEIR Fear test and hold.

The Priest rallies.

The last move of the turn is the right side Salamanders moving into the circle and drawing range on the Ogre.
TOST5A1.jpg
TOST5A1.jpg (466.68 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST5A2.jpg
TOST5A2.jpg (489.53 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST5A3.jpg
TOST5A3.jpg (545.56 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Second Sign is Scrolled.

The right Salamanders wind up doing the 3 wounds necessary to finish off the Ogre.

In Close Combat the Oldblood and Saurus Cavalry manage to get 6 wounds through the Dogs of War Cavalry's armor, wiping the unit out.

The left side Salamanders kill 1 Cavalryman while taking 3 wounds on a Salamander, killing it. The Salamanders break and flee 4" with the Cavalry pursuing 7", wiping them out.

The Priest passes his Panic test.

Pikes kill 2 Saurus, the Paymaster fails to wound, and the Saurus kill 2. The Saurus pass their Break test.

TURN 5 DOGS OF WAR

The remaining Cavalry unit reforms to face the circle while the unengaged Pikemen wheel around the rock to position themselves to enter the circle next turn.
TOST5B1.jpg
TOST5B1.jpg (527.66 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The first Second Sign is dispelled, the second Second Sign (still funny) gets scrolled.

The Paymaster's Pikes pull down 4 more Saurus with no wounds in return. Breaking, the Saurus flee 4" with the Pikes pursuing 7". DEAD. The Salamanders are Panicked by this and flee 6"

TURN 6 LIZARDMEN

I start the turn with passing Stupid while the Sallies rally. (Heh. I'm on a roll today...)

The Oldblood leaves the Cold Ones and moves towards the circle and the rear of the characterless Pikes. The Cold Ones wheel towards the Wizards in the back field, while the Priest pushes every inch he has to make it JUST inside the circle.
TOST6A1.jpg
TOST6A1.jpg (277.09 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST6A2.jpg
TOST6A2.jpg (595.87 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST6A3.jpg
TOST6A3.jpg (555.34 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST6A4.jpg
TOST6A4.jpg (586.85 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Second Sign passes and gains me 2 rerolls while Comet is scrolled.

TURN 6 DOGS OF WAR

In this turn the Dogs of War units reposition with all characters leaving their units and moving into the circle. The Wizards move away from the Saurus Cavalry as fast as they can, and the leftmost Pikes make it into the circle as well.
TOST6B1.jpg
TOST6B1.jpg (684.34 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The magic phase sees 1 Uranon's Thunderbolt fail to cast and the second Thunderbolt dispelled.

In the Shooting phase the Paymaster levels his brace of pistols at the Priest...

… and misses completely.

TURN 7 LIZARDMEN

Without much of a battle line, and hubris leaving me with my Priest intact for now, I need to press what little advantage I have.

I pass Stupidity and charge the closest Wizard, who flees in response, leaving me with a failed charge.

The Oldblood charges the Pikes directly in front of him who promptly fail their Fear test, needing 6's to hit this round of combat.

The Priest crosses the circle to get out of charge arcs, and the Salamanders enter the circle. AGAIN.
TOST7A1.jpg
TOST7A1.jpg (601 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST7A2.jpg
TOST7A2.jpg (598.98 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST7A3.jpg
TOST7A3.jpg (546.14 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The Priest lands Second Sign with Irresistible Force, netting 3 rerolls. He follows up with Irresistible Force on the Comet, placing the marker in the circle.

The Salamanders belch fire onto the right most Pikemen unit, scoring 18 hits which in turn score 9 wounds. None are saved and the unit Panics 9".

In combat the Pikemen whiff all their attacks, with the Oldblood slaughtering 6 of them in return. Though they lose the combat, they pass their Break test.

TURN 7 DOGS OF WAR

The turn starts with the second Wizard passing its Panic test for the fleeing Wizard beside it.

The General charges the Priest while the Cavalry charge the Salamanders. The Priest flees 10" while the Salamanders flee 7", resulting in failed charges.

All units rally that are fleeing.

The second Wizard moves away from the Saurus Cavalry, while the Paymaster stands still.
TOST7B1.jpg
TOST7B1.jpg (487.18 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST7B2.jpg
TOST7B2.jpg (444.28 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST7B3.jpg
TOST7B3.jpg (594.46 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The Magic phase starts off with a bang. Er… a pop. Uranon's Thunderbolt is cast on the Priest with the dispel roll failing. I didn't record how many wounds it caused, but it was more than the 2 necessary. Like I said: pop.
TOST7B4.jpg
TOST7B4.jpg (478.11 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The rest of the Power Dice are thrown at the Comet to dispel it successfully.

In the Close Combat phase the Oldblood kills 5 Pikemen with no wounds taken, but the Pikes again pass their Break test.

TURN 8 LIZARDMEN

I start my turn by passing Stupidity and failing my charge on the Wizard. My luck keeps going as the Salamanders flee 3".
TOST8A1.jpg
TOST8A1.jpg (518.38 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST8A2.jpg
TOST8A2.jpg (498.07 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
TOST8A3.jpg
TOST8A3.jpg (486.64 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
The Oldblood kills 3 more Pikemen while again suffering no wounds but is unable to Break them.

TURN 8 DOGS OF WAR

At the start of the turn, we realize the victory conditions were finally met, so the Dogs of War pull out a win!

I didn't lose track of the objective; I didn't even fail to press when I had the change. Crap dice rolls and simply being overwhelmed with numbers did more than anything to cost me the game. Truth be told some scouting Skinks with blowpipes would have done a number on them. Actually, given how the deployment ran, Chameleon Skinks ranging on those Wizards would have been worth their money in gold.

I think I may change my mind about having a nice BSB Slann in the army, I might have stuck around a bit longer...