6th Ed. BatRep: Last Stand! Dwarfs vs. High Elves

Just Tony

6th Ed. BatRep: Last Stand! Dwarfs vs. High Elves

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 5-9-2019

Finally getting to the last one that we played.

Last Stand was one we wanted to get to but seemed to miss every time we played. We finally decided it was the one to have, and as our Dwarfs army was smaller than all our other armies, we decided to use it as the Defenders. Per the scenario, the Attackers have twice the points as the Defenders, and I got to build my list on the spot.

DWARFS

Hero: Thane - Great Weapon, Light Armor with the Master Rune of Gromgril, Rune of Resistance - 111 points
Core: Warriors (19) - Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command - 196 points
Core: Warriors (20) - Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command - 205 points
Core: Warriors (20) - Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command - 205 points
Core: Thunderers (20) - 280 points

Total: 997 points

HIGH ELVES

As soon as I can find where I put this army list, I will give actual values. Quick and dirty? Griffon Prince, Silver Helms, 2 Chariots, Spearmen, Great Eagles, Reavers. Think that's it.

Total: 2,000 roundabouts...

Can't remember if it was rolled for or not, but regardless I got 1st turn with the Dwarfs.
D vs HE D1.jpg
D vs HE D1.jpg (306.55 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE D2.jpg
D vs HE D2.jpg (314.02 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE D3.jpg
D vs HE D3.jpg (302.88 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 1 DWARFS

The Thunderers turn 180 and move slightly to get a shot at the Chariot, the Yellow Warriors reform to face the Griffon, and the other two units move at top speed to the infantry heavy side.

In the Shooting Phase the Thunderers miss completely at the Chariot.
D vs HE T1A1.jpg
D vs HE T1A1.jpg (301.31 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T1A2.jpg
D vs HE T1A2.jpg (312.09 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T1A3.jpg
D vs HE T1A3.jpg (298.1 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 1 HIGH ELVES

All units move ahead towards the Dwarf perimeter.

The Chariots whiff all shots at the Thunderers. Part of me hopes there'll be some casualties next turn, part of me is terrified of exactly HOW MANY there will be next turn...
D vs HE T1B1.jpg
D vs HE T1B1.jpg (314.66 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T1B2.jpg
D vs HE T1B2.jpg (300.23 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 2 DWARFS

The Warriors all move ahead full, closing the gap and preparing for the inevitable charge. The Thunderers stand still to increase their odds of hitting...

... which pays off with 4 dead Silver Helms. Unfortunately, they still pass their Panic test.
D vs HE T2A1.jpg
D vs HE T2A1.jpg (307.11 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T2A2.jpg
D vs HE T2A2.jpg (299.49 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 2 HIGH ELVES

Literally EVERY High Elf unit charges this turn. I hold on all accounts as getting run down won't make for a fun battle report. I don't have a note for a Stand and Shoot reaction so I assume it was either too close or I failed to hit.

In Combat the Thane's Warriors take 5 casualties, with 1 wound being done to the Elven Commander. Breaking from combat, the Thane's Warriors flee 10", with the first of the 2 Great Eagles pursuing 14". The other Eagle and the Spearmen restrain.

1 of the Yellow Warriors falls to the Chariot, while the Lord on Griffon kills 3. The Champion fails to hit, but standing resolution means I win combat. The Lord on Griffon breaks!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, wait. The Chariot passes?

Okay, so we'll be doing this again next turn.

The other Chariot kills a Thunderer, and the Silver Helms drop 3 more. Surprisingly, they pass their Break test.

The Champion of the Warrior unit that was beside the Thane's unit challenges the Battle standard of the Elf army. The Bearer misses every single hit, and the Spearmen manage to only get 3 wounds, all of which were saved. The Reavers also manage to fail to wound a single Dwarf. For their part, the Warriors kill 1 Spearman and wound the BSB once. Failing their Break test, the Warriors flee 7". The Reavers pursue 8", while the Spearmen pursue 12", grinding the Warriors to paste.
D vs HE T2B1.jpg
D vs HE T2B1.jpg (311.88 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T2B2.jpg
D vs HE T2B2.jpg (312.34 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T2B3.jpg
D vs HE T2B3.jpg (294.61 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
D vs HE T2B4.jpg
D vs HE T2B4.jpg (313.23 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 3 DWARFS

No movement to be had, we go straight to Combat.

The Chariot fails to hit the Yellow Warriors, who manage to wound the Chariot once. The Chariot's resolve holds.

The Commander in the Silver Helms kills two Thunderers. These are the only attacks that wind up wounding anyone. Despite this, the Thunderers pass their Break test.
D vs HE T3A1.jpg
D vs HE T3A1.jpg (312.21 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 3 HIGH ELVES

The Reavers charge the rear of the Thunderers, and the forwardmost Eagle charges the rear of the Yellow Warriors.

BSB Spearmen fail their charge, the Lord rallies, and the remaining Eagle and Spearmen move up at top speed.

The Chariot kills 1 Yellow Warrior, and no other wounds are caused in return. Resolution is in the Dwarfs' favor, and the Eagle flees 8" while the Chariot passes, holding the Combat for another turn.

The Reavers only manage to kill 1 Thunderer, while the Chariot and Silver Helms manage 4 dead Thunderers between them. The Commander and the Thunderers remaining fail to hit or wound.

Finally the Thunderers are broken and flee 8". The Reavers restrain, with the Chariot pursuing 5" and the Silver Helms pursuing 11".

TURN 4 DWARFS

Neither the Chariot NOR the Yellow Warriors manage to land a single wound. Resolution is in the Dwarfs' favor, though so the Chariot tests to Break. Failing, they flee 14" with the Warriors pursuing 7"
D vs HE T4A1.jpg
D vs HE T4A1.jpg (329.6 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 4 HIGH ELVES

The second Eagle charges the Warriors from behind, while all fleeing units rally. Every unit able to move ahead does so.

The Eagle whiffs its attacks, but is only wounded once in return. The Eagle then breaks and flees 9", with the Dwarfs pursuing 8" directly into the Lord on Griffon...
D vs HE T4B1.jpg
D vs HE T4B1.jpg (321.63 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 5 DWARFS

The charging Warriors once again fail to wound, and 2 die for their incompetence. The Lord easily passes his Break test, which sets up some saucy charges.
D vs HE T5A1.jpg
D vs HE T5A1.jpg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 5 HIGH ELVES

Both Eagles charge, as well as the Chario... Waitaminit, how the Hell did I not catch that? That second bird still should have been fleeing!!! Oh, Tony, you idiot...

The Birds both fail to wound anyone, so I guess it wasn't game breaking. The Chariot kills 1 Warrior, and 2 fall to the Griffon Lord. No Dwarf attacks wound yet again, but they manage to pass their Break test.

TURN 6 DWARFS

1 Warrior falls to the Chariot, and 3 fall to the Griffon Lord. The unit finally lands some blows and 1 gets through the Prince's armor for a wound. Birds did nothing. Dwarf determination still holds and the combat drags on...
D vs HE T6A1.jpg
D vs HE T6A1.jpg (318.01 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
TURN 6 HIGH ELVES

Not content to have so few in the fight, Ashley charges the Reavers into the combat.

They perform admirably... by whiffing every attack. The Chariot and Eagles, inspired by their performance, also bolo. The Lord accounts for 3 dead Warriors, however, and the Dwarfs cannot marshal the skill to land a single blow. Finally, the Dwarfs flee from combat with a massive flee move of 6". Ashley rolls for his Chariot...

... and with 10 being more than enough, he doesn't bother rolling the rest.

It was kind of fun going in knowing you're going to get wiped out. What shocked me was lasting the full 6 turns. I almost fled from a charge reaction at one point because of my frustration at the game, but in the end I missed winning the scenario by 2 models.