Reclaim The Stones!!! Albion aftermath scenario - 6th Ed Dwarfs vs. Lizardmen Battle Report

Just Tony

Reclaim The Stones!!! Albion aftermath scenario - 6th Ed Dwarfs vs. Lizardmen Battle Report

Post by Just Tony »

Originally posted on 2-17-2020

Madness, right? Two batreps in such a short amount of time? Well, the slight slowdown at work has earned me a touch more time off on the weekends, so it works out well.

Our choice today was Reclaim The Stones, a scenario published in White Dwarf after the Albion campaign concluded. Essentially you had to capture the center area which also let Wizards within the feature generate twice the Power and Dispel dice. I misinterpreted which scenario he was talking about at first, and pointed out that in the Albion campaign the opposing armies could have a Truthsayer vs a Dark Emissary for free. We went for it, I realized I got it wrong, we said the hell with it and ran with it anyway.

The Dwarf army was built as so, and defended the Stones.

Hero: Thane - Great Weapon, Master Rune of Gromgril, and the Rune of Resistance - 109 points
Hero: Battle Standard Bearer - Gromgril Armor, Master Rune of Groth One Eye, Rune of Courage - 198 points
Core: Warriors (19) - Musician, Champion - 186 points
Core: Warriors (19) - Musician, Standard - 186 points
Core: Warriors (20) - Musician, Standard - 195 points
Special: Slayers (10) - Giant Slayer - 125 points
Extra: Dark Emissary (Level 4) - free

TOTAL: 999 points.

The Dark Emissary rolled Bolt of Dark Light, Betrayal in Death, Nightmare, and Fog of Death for spells.

Here's a snazzy look at the characters in this list...
RTSCHAR1.jpg
RTSCHAR1.jpg (538.92 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
The Lizardmen list was as follows

Hero: Scar Veteran - Mark of Itzl, Mark of Quetzl, Heavy Armor, Shield, Cold One Mount, and the Scimitar of the Sun Resplendant - 182 points
Hero: Skink Shaman (Level 1) - 65 points
Core: Saurus Warriors (20) - Full Command - 270 points
Core: Saurus Warriors (20) - Full Command - 270 points
Special: Saurus Cavalry (9) - Full Command - 365 points
Special: Chameleon Skinks (10) - 150 points
Rare: Salamander Hunting Packs (3) - 195 points
Extra: Truthsayer (Level 3) - Free

TOTAL: 1,497 points

The Skink rolled up Portent of Far, which I swapped for Second Sign of Amul. The Truthsayer rolled up/chose Wings of Fate, Light of Battle, and Blessing of Valor.

Here is my all-star line up...
RTSCHAR2.jpg
RTSCHAR2.jpg (602.69 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

Deployment was basic. Dwarfs castled in the circle while I split my forces with a Saurus regiment, the Truthsayer, and the Salamanders on the left flank, and the Saurus Cavalry, second Saurus regiment, and the Skink Shaman on the right flank. The Chameleon Skinks scouted up as close as possible.
RTSDEP1.jpg
RTSDEP1.jpg (649.8 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTSDEP2.jpg
RTSDEP2.jpg (712.3 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTSDEP3.jpg
RTSDEP3.jpg (586.31 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTSDEP4.jpg
RTSDEP4.jpg (586.51 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Winning the roll for first turn, Ashley wisely decides to go first.

TURN 1 DWARFS

With no charges to declare, the only real thing for the Dwarfs to do is adjust the position of the Dark Emissary so as to be able to bring line of sight towards multiple units, but predominantly the Chameleon Skinks.
RTST1A1.jpg
RTST1A1.jpg (650.08 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
In the Magic Phase the Dark Emissary casts Fog of Death with Irresistible Force. Making its way across the board, the units that suffer damage are: 1 Saurus from the right flank unit, 1 wound on a Salamander, and 3 hits on the Skink Shaman, destroying him.

Nightmare is cast, but I let it pass as I'm saving what dice I have for what I assume to be worse spells. My reward for this is the Chameleon Skinks failing their Panic check and fleeing 4".

Last but not least, Bolt of Dark Light is targeted at the fleeing Chameleon Skinks but the wizard fails to cast.
RTST1A2.jpg
RTST1A2.jpg (657.67 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 1 LIZARDMEN

Passing the Cold One's Stupidity roll, I manage to rally the Skinks as I have no charges to declare this turn. All units move ahead at top speed with the exception of the Salamanders who move 6" to enable them to fire, and the Truthsayer who joins the Salamanders to avoid the Fog of Death.
RTST1B1.jpg
RTST1B1.jpg (684.69 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST1B2.jpg
RTST1B2.jpg (544.89 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Irresistible Force on Wings of Fate kills 2 of the Yellow Dwarfs, which I follow up with a Miscast on Light of Battle, rolling a 5 which ends the phase and prevents casting next turn.

The Salamanders flex their toxin sacs and belch forth 16 balls of liquid fire at the Yellow Dwarf Warriors. 8 wounds manage to land, with 2 turned away by armor. Despite losing 6 Warriors the Panic test is passed.
RTST1B3.jpg
RTST1B3.jpg (487.75 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST1B4.jpg
RTST1B4.jpg (652.53 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 2 DWARFS

The Yellow Warriors move forward full speed while the Dark Emissary moves away from the Chameleon Skinks, lining up line of sight to the left flank. The rest of the Dwarf army holds its ground.
RTST2A1.jpg
RTST2A1.jpg (610.31 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
The Dark Emissary casts Fog of Death again, but the Truthsayer easily dispels it. Undaunted, the Emissary then casts Bolt of Dark Light at the Salamanders, delivering the 2 wounds necessary to kill 1 of the beasts. Confident in his abilities, the Emissary then tries to cast Nightmare on the Chameleon Skinks but suffers a Miscast. Consulting the chart we arrive at 11: Wizard loses a level AND the spell that was miscast, and the magic phase ends.

It's here that my brother, who used to teach high school Academic English, points out the exact verbiage of the miscast result "... the wizard's level is reduced by -1", which if you apply grammatical structure, means that the wizard now becomes level 5, since reducing a -1 makes it +1. Oh, the joys of gaming with two word nerds...
RTST2A2.jpg
RTST2A2.jpg (509.93 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 2 LIZARDMEN

The Saurus Cavalry pass their Stupidity and declare a charge on the Battle Standard's Warriors, who hold and are Immune to Psychology.

The Salamanders back up 3" to try to pull the Yellow Dwarfs from the circle, while all the rest of the units move ahead full.
RTST2B1.jpg
RTST2B1.jpg (561.09 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST2B2.jpg
RTST2B2.jpg (566.73 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST2B3.jpg
RTST2B3.jpg (622.32 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
No magic this turn as my Truthsayer recuperates.

Goading the Salamanders, 1 Skink croaks in horror as the beast turns and bites deep into its side, shaking it until its form goes limp and dropping it to the ground. The rest of the Salamanders, however, perform their task and spit at the Yellow Warriors, killing 1 of them.

On the other side of the circle the Scar Veteran roars a challenge which is accepted by the Warriors' Champion, saving the Battle Standard from the Saurus General's onslaught. The Scar Vet and his mount rain down a flurry of blows and slice the Dwarf Champion in three wide arcs, shredding him limb from limb. The rest of the Saurus Cavalry strike home, wounding the Battle Standard once and killing 2 Warriors. The remaining Dwarfs in the shield wall strike back, killing 1 of the Cold One Riders. The Battle Standard Bearer easily passes his Stubborn Break test.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Ranked heavy cavalry unit didn't manage to wipe out a unit in one turn. Even had a Hero in the regiment with 6 attacks PLUS his mount. The BSB wasn't even that much of a tank. So odd...

Not really, this is pretty typical and further illustrating how cav do NOT dominate the game and wipe out everything they face.
RTST2B4.jpg
RTST2B4.jpg (650.54 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 3 DWARFS

The Slayers start the turn moving forward 3", the Thane leads his Warriors forward 1" towards the left flank Saurus. Meanwhile the Yellow Warriors face rear, move 1 1/2", then about face again. Lastly the Dark Emissary moves away form the Chameleon Skinks.
RTST3A1.jpg
RTST3A1.jpg (670.37 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST3A2.jpg
RTST3A2.jpg (503.13 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Fog of Death is again cast with no opposition. Casualties this turn are 1 Cold One Rider, 2 Saurus from the right flank regiment, and 3 Chameleon Skinks. This turn it also takes out 1 Yellow Warrior and 1 Slayer. The damage is enough to force a Panic check on the Chameleon Skinks who promply fail and flee off the board.

Bolt of Dark Light is miscast scoring a 7, ending the phase.

In the Close Combat phase the Scar Veteran kills the Battle Standard with everyone else missing their attacks or their wound rolls completely, resulting in a drawn combat.
RTST3A3.jpg
RTST3A3.jpg (485.04 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 3 LIZARDMEN

This turn both Saurus regiments declare charges which are Held by both Dwarf regiments. The Salamanders meander (heh) up 2"
RTST3B1.jpg
RTST3B1.jpg (596.96 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Both Wings of Fate AND Blessing of Valor are dispelled this turn. (Hey, at least he was free. Right? Now excuse me while I brace for more Fog of Death...)

The Salamanders generate 12 shots, wounding with 4, but only 2 Yellow Warriors are killed.

The Giant Slayer issues a challenge which is readily accepted by the Saurus champion, who promptly whiffs all his attacks while the Slayer doles out the 1 wound necessary to kill the Saurus champion. (Wow, that was quick...) The rest of the Saurus only manage to kill 1 Slayer while losing 2 of their own. Resolution is on the Saurus' side, but the Slayers are Unbreakable.

The Thane in the left flank combat challenges the Saurus Champion, who accepts. The Champion cannot harm the Thane, who in return lands 3 unsaved wounds and easily kills the Champion. The rest of the Saurus kill 2 Warriors who can't manage a wound in return. All said, the combat is a draw.

The Scar Veteran kills 1 Dwarf, the Cold Ones pull down 2, the Warriors and Saurus Riders both fail to wound. Insane Courage is rolled and failed, and the Warriors flee 5" with the Saurus Cav pursuing 6", slamming into the rear of the Thane's Warrior regiment.
RTST3B2.jpg
RTST3B2.jpg (567 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST3B3.jpg
RTST3B3.jpg (572.48 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 4 DWARFS

No charges are declared this turn, and the Thane's unit passes its Panic test, holding til the bitter end.

The Yellow Warriors again use facing turns to move backwards 1 1/2" and face the Salamanders again while the Dark Emissary gets out of the Cavalry's path.

Fog of War is cast again, and the Lizardmen score a double 1 on their Dispel roll. Yeesh. Damage is as follows: 1 of the right flank Saurus, 2 of the left flank Saurus, 4 wounds on Salamanders, and 1 Skink Handler. Two of the Thane's Warriors also fall to the spell. Bolt of Dark Light fails to cast while Betrayal in Death is successfully cast on the left flank Saurus regiment. The Salamanders pass their Panic test.

In the Combat Phase the Cavalry and Scar Veteran manage to kill 2 Warriors with no wounds caused in return. The front rank of the Warriors sees the Warriors cause a saved wound on the Saurus Warriors who answer by killing 2 of the Dwarfs. The Thane gathers his strength and kills 2 Saurus, while the attacks from Betrayal in Death fail to land. With more than enough Resolution favoring the Fear causing unit, the outnumbered Dwarfs fail their Insane Courage roll and flee 6" from the Cavalry, who then pursue 15" while the Saurus Warriors successfully restrain pursuit.

On the opposite side of the circle the Slayers fail to wound while losing 3 more of their numbers. Unbreakable keeps them in the fray.

TURN 4 LIZARDMEN

Stupidity is passed again!!!!! (I'm on a roll compared to that older Batrap vs. DOW...)

The left flank Saurus Warriors charge the Dark Emissary who flees 6", resulting in a failed charge. The Cavalry reform facing the circle while the Salamanders move forward 6".
RTST4B1.jpg
RTST4B1.jpg (591.3 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Wings of Fate is cast but fails to wound the Yellow Warriors, while Blessing of Valor is successfully cast on the right flank Saurus.

The Salamanders are goaded again, but only 1 Yellow Warrior falls to the shooting attack.

The Slayers manage to kill 4 of the Saurus Warriors, and lose 1 Slayer in return. Resolution is still against the Slayers, but they are still Unbreakable.
RTST4B2.jpg
RTST4B2.jpg (578.56 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
TURN 5 DWARFS

The Dark Emissary rallies while the Yellow Warriors backstep 1 1/2" again.
RTST5A1.jpg
RTST5A1.jpg (523.56 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Fog of Death is allowed through again. 3 left flank Saurus, 3 Cavalry, and 1 Salamander wound are doled out on the Lizardmen while 1 Slayer falls to the Fog. The Cavalry fail their Panic test and flee 8"

Bolt of Dark Light kills 1 left flank Saurus, but they easily pass their Panic test.

The Slayers kill 2 more of the Saurus Warriors but lose 1 more of their number. Unbreakable.

TURN 5 LIZARDMEN

The left flank Saurus charge the Dark Emissary who holds in response. The Cavalry fail to rally and flee 12" off the board. The Salamanders dig in and hold their ground.
RTST5B1.jpg
RTST5B1.jpg (486.56 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
RTST5B2.jpg
RTST5B2.jpg (505.14 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Wings of Fate is dispelled while Blessing of Valor is failed to cast.

The Salamanders again target the Yellow Dwarfs but fail to wound at all.

The Slayer's attack is saved, and the Saurus slam the final warrior into the ground.

The Dark Emissary takes a wound with nothing in return, breaking from combat 6" while the Saurus restrain.
RTST5B3.jpg
RTST5B3.jpg (682.72 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Random turn roll sees another turn...

TURN 6 DWARFS

The Dark Emissary rallies while the Yellow Dwarfs hold their ground.

Fog of War is cast again, this time killing 1 Skink Handler and dealing the last wound to the wounded Salamander. Bolt of Dark Light is failed, and the Salamander pack passes its Panic test.

TURN 6 LIZARDMEN

The Skink Handlers and Truthsayer charge the Yellow Warriors who flee 7" causing a failed charge. The left flank Saurus charge the Dark Emissary again, who holds in response. The right flank Saurus take this opportunity to wheel into the circle while avoiding the fleeing Dwarfs Warriors.
RTST6B1.jpg
RTST6B1.jpg (466.93 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Wings of Fate is allowed to cast, killing 1 more Yellow Dwarf. Blessing of Valor is cast with Irresistible Force on the left flank Saurus Warriors.

Neither the Saurus nor the Dark Emissary can land a wound, but Resolution sees the wizard flee the combat 6" with the Saurus rolling the necessary 6 to pursue, wiping the Dark Emissary out.
RTST6B2.jpg
RTST6B2.jpg (646.2 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
And that is where the random turn roll ends the game. Ashley was counting on rallying to hold off my forces, but the game ending meant that my right flank Saurus Warriors were the only scoring unit in the circle, guaranteeing the win!

A hard fought game to be certain, and a costly battle due more to that free Wizard than anything.