A bit of a dilemma

Alarantalara

A bit of a dilemma

Post by Alarantalara »

I was fortunate enough to encounter a dark elf bolt thrower and 5 black guard second hand at my local store recently. They were even primed but not painted.

So I bought them and started painting them. Which is where my troubles begin. I found mold lines, then flash, then more flash. The bolt thrower is now in several pieces because so much glue was used for the initial assembly that parts weren't fully touching each other and so didn't have enough glue elsewhere so I broke it up to reassemble.

So now I have primed models where many of the raised edges have had the paint removed in the process of getting rid of the junk.
partially painted.jpeg
partially painted.jpeg (566.8 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
This looks better than it is since there are still more things to trim, especially on the bolt thrower.

Does anyone know how much less durable the paint will be if I just paint over it and keep going? Or should I stop, strip all the paint off and start from the beginning so they can stay looking nice once I'm finished?
Just Tony

Re: A bit of a dilemma

Post by Just Tony »

Since it's pewter I would just pop off the bases and soak them in acetone. Just the annoyance of line removal through paint would infuriate me. Plus, wouldn't you need to reprime the bare metal areas to keep the paint from rubbing off?
Jonathan E

Post by Jonathan E »

What Tony said, except my recommended product is Biostrip 20. (I'm not sure where in the world you are - the manufacturer doesn't have a US distributor at the moment, although they are looking...)
If you're wondering why I'm like this, give this a read.

It's not canon. It's not lore. It's fluff. It's marketing copy to sell toys. Don't take it more seriously than it deserves.

TinyLegions
Site Admin

Post by TinyLegions »

Yep, bath in nail polish is the way to go in my opinion on this one.
Your Benevolent Dictator

The random musings of TinyLegions: https://tinylegions.blogspot.com/