Clarification Around Daemon-Beasts of Nurgle

mattyfenby

Clarification Around Daemon-Beasts of Nurgle

Post by mattyfenby »

Talking about the Daemonic Legions Army List here https://wfb6thcharacters.blogspot.com/p ... -list.html and found on page 27 of the Storm of Chaos Campaign Book.

Page 29 says that Instability wounds may be distributed between the mount and the rider. Page 29 also lists the Daemon-Beast's statline titled as "Daemon-Beast." It has D6+1 Attacks.

In the section where you buy them for your roster on page 30, the unit is described as consisting of "Plaguebearers mounted on Daemon-Beasts of Nurgle." The statline is titled "PlagueRiders" and it has D6+2 Attacks.

This has me confused. Is this a single profile model, where the second attack of the Plaguebearer has been taken into account and is reflected by the change in title and attacks? Or is this a Plaguebearer model mounted on a Daemon-Beast model, who has his own independent statline and can shunt Instability wounds to his Monstrous Mount, which is referred to interchange-ably as a Daemon-Beast and PlagueRider, and which has a misprint on page 30, and should only have D6+1 Attacks? I would have thought it would be like a Chariot where the Plaguebearer has its own attack but the model as a whole has one pool of wounds and a single armour save value, but this does not seem to be the case. In any event, I'm not exactly sure how they were intended to be handled.

I apologize in advance if this is covered somewhere or if this is a bad question or if my rambling has not properly described the question. I checked the Warhammer 6th Edition App FAQ and could not find anything about them in there. Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read this or who can shed light on this for me.
Alarantalara

Re: Clarification Around Daemon-Beasts of Nurgle

Post by Alarantalara »

You can also buy them for your roster as mounts proper for the Daemonic Herald (page 28), where that rule on page 29 would presumably apply without confusion and replace the similar rule about avoiding instability until the rider is killed for mortal units riding the daemonic mounts in Hordes of Chaos.

For the special units on page 30, I note that the profiles for all the special units all have attack counts equal to the rider + the mount, and the best of the two source units for all other stats, thus would reasonably represent a combined profile. I think all the italic text describing the units throughout the list is more about telling you how to model it than a statement about rules—for the chariots it only covers base sizes, while these units get base size and the miniatures needed to make them. The only real exception to this pattern is the comment about the herald not being able to be the general.

Also, there's this FAQ which outright states the profile is combined as a side comment in one question: https://www.geocities.ws/mi_whplayers/faqs/soc_faq.txt
mattyfenby

Re: Clarification Around Daemon-Beasts of Nurgle

Post by mattyfenby »

Thank you very much! This is what I was hoping would be the case. One profile and pool of wounds to keep
it quicker and simpler.